Start up has gotten loud with metal clanking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

howster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys,
I've a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Gas and in the last month start up has gotten loud. It's a metallic clanking sound about 3-4 times the original loudness and lasts about 5 mins and then noise reduces by about 20%. Regardless it's still a lot louder than normal particularly when accelerating. Also yesterday the truck got stuck in a high gear whilst driving and started to heave, despite being automatic, and I had to pull over, put it in Park and back to Drive to fix the issue. I had a recent service and synthetic oil change so not quite sure what could be up with it. It has about 20,000 miles on it. Attached is the sound. Normally it starts and hums. This sound is much more metally and clanky. Same sound whether push start or remote start. I use 5w20 oil.
Wondering what you think may be the issue. Truck sound:
Thanks

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Bad torque converter?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's really hard for me to hear anything metallic in that recording. To me it sounds like an exhaust leak. Where on the truck does it sound the loudest?

OP
OP
H

howster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's really hard for me to hear anything metallic in that recording. To me it sounds like an exhaust leak. Where on the truck does it sound the loudest?
Passenger side near rear wheel seems the loudest.

OP
OP
H

howster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would start by checking manifold bolts.
Weeks back when I noticed it getting a little louder I brought it in for a service/oil change and mechanic thought it sounded ok. He mentioned manifold bolts being an issue with Rams but mine were fine he said. Truck has definitely got a lot louder and even my wife brought it to my attention. For that reason I believe I'm not going daft. I read that the oil filter may be a problem so I bought a Mopar one. I'll revisit the mechanic and ask him to install it with a different brand of fully synthetic oil maybe.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with the others, that doesn't sound like lifter tick so changing the oil filter wouldn't help in that case; but it's probably exhaust.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Passenger side near rear wheel seems the loudest.
That would be an exhaust leak. Check the muffler flange and make sure neither bolt has broken. I wouldn't say it's common, but it seems to be an issue for some people on 5th gens.

OP
OP
H

howster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll report back when it gets diagnosed soon.

OP
OP
H

howster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turns out that bolts in the rear exhaust flange were broken which ruined the exhaust gasket causing the loud sound. Loud issue now fixed. Dramatically quieter. First mechanic missed it and said loudness was normal. Dealership mechanic identified issue and it purrs quietly now. All covered under the 3 year warranty. No cost.
Guess who lost future business and guess who won future business. Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

toakesd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like i am having the same exact issue with my 2019 1500. the "whooshing" when accelerating uphill and the startup rattle. Are you able to explain where the rear exhaust flange is located? Do you think it's something a that can be fixed in my garage and not at a dealership?