Startup 65RFE Transmission whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 6 speed

On startup hot or cold, when the idle comes down to around 1100-900 RPM, I get a whine from the transmission pan for about 5 seconds. (Verified with stethescope)

Keeping my foot on the brake makes it louder.

I changed the filters and fluid today.

Fluid is at the correct level and has been cycled through.

Before the change it would last about 10-12 seconds.

Anyone else's ram have this issue?

For 112k miles the pan was surprisingly clean compared to other vehicles I have done. Very Little gray material on the bottom of the pan. Very little on the magnet. It is the vehicles 1st transmission service.

At 1st startup after the change it did not do it.

When whining if put into drive or reverse the noise goes away.

Thanks

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I need to ask

When you dropped the pan to change the fluid how long did you let all the fluid drain?

Also how many quarts did you put back in and do you have the stock pan?

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Also do you get any are temperature fluctuations for the trans when it is at full opp temp as you are driving?

Do you still have the thermal bypass block on the trans lines?

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to ask

When you dropped the pan to change the fluid how long did you let all the fluid drain?

Also how many quarts did you put back in and do you have the stock pan?

Drained for about 20 min.

Put 6.5 quarts back in, at 70° it is just touching the 2nd cold temp hole in neutral. At 153° the highest the temp gets to, it is 70% between the 2nd cold hole and 1st hot hole.

The pan is a dorman pan

I do not see a thermal bypass anywhere on the lines. My truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 express 4x4. Thought the thermal bypass was on the 2500 and 3500s.

No major temp fluctuations at full operating temperature it stays at 153 idle and will flicker 1-2 degrees driving.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having this same exact problem right now watching this thread except my whine doesnt go away until you hit OD.

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped the pan after seeing some people smacking the filter in. I only pressed it in really hard.

I smacked it and heard it seat.

Whine is still there but less

I am having this same exact problem right now watching this thread except my whine doesnt go away until you hit OD.

Is yours an early 2014 back jws123? Has the fluid and filter been changed?
I seen that some people had issues with the sump filter spliting. There is an updated filter with a purple/pink pressure release valve to prevent it that the early filters did not have.

Reactions: U&A

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped the pan after seeing some people smacking the filter in. I only pressed it in really hard.

I smacked it and heard it seat.

Whine is still there but less

Is yours an early 2014 back jws123? Has the fluid and filter been changed?
I seen that some people had issues with the sump filter spliting. There is an updated filter with a purple/pink pressure release valve to prevent it that the early filters did not have.
its a 2012 i just did the filter and fluid i pressed the filter in til it sat flush then put the screw in maybe i needed to hit it harder? i never rove it beforehand so no idea if it did it before it needed a motor thats how i got it cheap.

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its a 2012 i just did the filter and fluid i pressed the filter in til it sat flush then put the screw in maybe i needed to hit it harder? i never rove it beforehand so no idea if it did it before it needed a motor thats how i got it cheap.

Everything I have read says it has to be pushed in all the way.

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Video of noise
Source is coming from the valve body about where the solinoid switch valve would be.

After listening real hard mine whines if I go slow enough and listen mine has the whine from 1st-2nd. I cannot hear it in 4th 5rh 6th (maybe due to road noise)

I'm thinking a valve body issue. Trying to see if a 68rfe valve body will swap into a 65rfe. If so may go with revmax and see if it fixes it.

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I drove around recording line pressures.

Put it in park, heard slight whine

It is no longer loud in the center of the pan.

The whine is now at the line pressure sensor.

In neutral the line pressure sensor whine is there and is sounds like a mini Jetsons spaceship whine where the ud accumulator/4th acumulator is at. Starting to feel even more its valve body issue. It is warped, worn or bolts may be loose.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How about neutral? To my knowledge the fluid doesn't spin while in park, at least that is how it was in the first rfe's. It should spin in neutral.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
How about neutral? To my knowledge the fluid doesn't spin while in park, at least that is how it was in the first rfe's. It should spin in neutral.

This.

Good point mike.

OP
OP
MontyNC

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far cold it does it in park and neutral, sound can be heard near the center of the pan. Loudest coming down from fast idle.

Once warm in park it is gone at the center of the pan but some noise is heard on the side where the accumulators are but not as loud (stethescope has to almost be on the pan)

In neutral a small whine seems like it is at the acumulator but there is a oscilating sound between the ud accumulator and 4th accumulator. (a little louder but still need stethescope noise 2-3 inched from pan)

Also in neutral standing beside the truck, the whine can be traced with a stethescope and tube to the line pressure sensor and at the point where the line pressure port on the case connects to the valve body at the corner of the pan.

Cold the brake pedal can be pressed and change the sound when coming down from fast idle..

Idle line pressure 50 psi
Idle line pressure with brake pressed 126 psi
Neutral line pressure 126

Hopefully I got all the info right my brain feels like mush.