Stereo Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonVez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all
Gathering up the Components slowly,waiting for nice weather(spring lol) to install
Looking to upgrade the stereo,dont need Nav really but touch screen would be nice
Currently have the Basic VP1,thinking the VP3 would be ideal (SIRIUS) but not really sure if pricing im seeing for these is fair
7speed fan needs the module on passenger side?
Bezel needs changing?Complete unit?
After market I think is out cause I do like the factory look

Any 1 upgrading looking to sell?any idea where might be able find?
Preferance would be new but costs are adding up
Thanks

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
The bezel should swap out as part of the upgrade, since even the RA3 -> RA5 upgrade (if I remember right) likely includes a bigger screen (I have the RA-5, or what you refer to as the VP3 head unit.)

Have you cruised through the Electronics forum to see what others have written up?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Does your uConnect 3 have phone/BT connectivity/mics in the headliner? The main issue with an 8.4 upgrade on a 17 truck is adding the mics if you don't already have them... But it can be done.

I have a 2017 Ra4 VP4-NA (Nav) upgrade kit with ATC wiring/ sensors/ modules/bezel etc available. See here. PM me if interested.

M² Mods.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You would spend a lot of frustrating time assembling the nice setup @Mpgrimm2 has for sale and in the end you'd have to buy some items from him anyway if you went OEM. He did it for me and I couldn't be happier with my M2 Mods setup. If you go aftermarket you have to cut out part of the inner metal dash reinforcement, ugh.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Does your uConnect 3 have phone/BT connectivity/mics in the headliner? The main issue with an 8.4 upgrade on a 17 truck is adding the mics if you don't already have them... But it can be done.

I have a 2017 Ra4 VP4-NA (Nav) upgrade kit with ATC wiring/ sensors/ modules/bezel etc available. See here. PM me if interested.

M² Mods.

Forgot that part... My RA-5 has the mics and BT connectivity (and Sirius XM), but it's a special Fleet/SLT build. Not sure about the original poster or the RA-3, though.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
PAC and Metra make some pretty nice aftermarket radio integration kits. The extra 5" LCD below the radio for A/C and other stuff is pretty cool looking. I already invested, well not really an investment since I am not making any money, in a factory upgrade to a UAQ radio and ATC. If these were available then I would have been real tempted to go aftermarket.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement-kits/rpk4-ch4101
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-6527B

The PAC has an add-on harness to allow an additional 5 cameras which would be sweet for my trailer cameras.

Last edited:

Chad Cunningham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go aftermarket you have to cut out part of the inner metal dash reinforcement, ugh.

Alpine's ILX unit is a shallow mount that should fit without having to modify anything. It's wired carplay/android auto only though.

I like the idea of going the factory update route, but I can't find anyway to do it that doesn't cost $1500+. Meanwhile for $500 I can get an aftermarket unit with wireless android auto that still retains most of my factory features. It's just hard for me to justify going the OEM route at those prices.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Alpine's ILX unit is a shallow mount that should fit without having to modify anything. It's wired carplay/android auto only though.

I like the idea of going the factory update route, but I can't find anyway to do it that doesn't cost $1500+. Meanwhile for $500 I can get an aftermarket unit with wireless android auto that still retains most of my factory features. It's just hard for me to justify going the OEM route at those prices.

Must be a different ILX from what Crutchfield lists because the ones I saw all say you have to remove or cut the dash bracket. Definitely not doing that and got a UAQ and love it.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would spend a lot of frustrating time assembling the nice setup @Mpgrimm2 has for sale and in the end you'd have to buy some items from him anyway if you went OEM. He did it for me and I couldn't be happier with my M2 Mods setup. If you go aftermarket you have to cut out part of the inner metal dash reinforcement, ugh.

Cutting out the metal took literally 5 minutes at most

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Cutting out the metal took literally 5 minutes at most

On a '18-20 it looked like the security gateway mounts to the piece that you cut off and removed possibly leaving no place except relocating the module somewhere else. With a b2b warranty I wasn't taking the chance that anything would ever be an issue. Anyway l love my UAQ with a M2MODS ATC / auto high beam / rain sense setup in a truck that didn't even come with Uconnect. I got the head unit/bezel for a deal before there was a large demand and everyone including resellers were looking for them. So imho smart shopping and @Mpgrimm2 and @DeereGuy harnesses and help keep my truck factory for a great price and I really like that.