Strange problem with my 02, i'm sure somebody knows what the cause is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
When I start it up, all most all the lights, except headlights, and the headlights will do it too if turned on.

They start blinking, and the blinking will go on 3 times for about 30 seconds each time. Then it is fine, and works normal afterwards. I went to the local and as far as I'm concerned "useless" dealer, and they say they don't know.

At first I thought it was a security key issue, but this truck doesn't require a security key. It is an
annoying issue more than an operational one.

Help is always appreciated in advance. Thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I start it up, all most all the lights, except headlights, and the headlights will do it too if turned on.

They start blinking, and the blinking will go on 3 times for about 30 seconds each time. Then it is fine, and works normal afterwards. I went to the local and as far as I'm concerned "useless" dealer, and they say they don't know.

At first I thought it was a security key issue, but this truck doesn't require a security key. It is an
annoying issue more than an operational one.

Help is always appreciated in advance. Thanks
I have seen this issue plenty of times. There are two main causes that I have repaired over the years. The first is the headlamp and battery grounds on each inner fender.

The 2nd issue is with the FCM, or Front Control Module, which is mounted on the left side of the PDC, or Power Distribution Center in the engine compartment.

I actually have a customer's 2004 model in the shop right now that will blink the right front headlamp. You can give the FCM a "hammer test". Start the truck and as soon as the lights start blinking use the handle of the hammer to bump/jar the FCM and see if the lamps stop blinking. If so then it is time for an FCM.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Yes , thank you, your advice will hopefully get me going in the right direction.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I thought I posted this before, but maybe not.

When I start my 02 up , all most all the lights, and the headlights too if they are on, flash for about 15 - 30 seconds , never timed it, 3 times. Then it works normally. Dealer told me they have no idea.

First I thought security key, but Vin says, no Sec key. A minor hindrance but one I wouldn't mind fixing!

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had this happen to me last week when what I assume was the infinity amp not turning off with the ignition drained the batteries. When went to unlock the truck the fob did nothing. When I unlocked it with the key, I got blink blink blink.......blink blink blink then all lights died. I thought it was telling me the batteries were too low. Good to know it means something else.