Stuck hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a small fuel hose stuck in the gas tank of my 2019 ram. I needed to empty a small fuel tank and just stuffed it in. The end of the hose has a small lip which seems to be keeping it stuck. It is only about 4 inched inside, When I open the little flap, there seems to be another piece holding it from coming back out. The dealer wants $350.00 to repair. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? It also looks like the post 2019 rams are different from previous years.

Thanks, Dave
So, how about an update. You posted on Sept 19th, nothing since, lots of guys offered help. Did it work? Did you get the hose out and how did you do it?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a gas cap , that I think is the way it should be, but have no clue on the newer capless, sounds silly.
I have a gas generator and was wondering about sucking gas out of the truck for it, I have a couple suction pumps, with 3/8" plastic hose, But no way could I get the hoes down to the tank, there is something in there to stop that, I coil spring I think some one said.
The Honda CRV was the same , could not get a hose down to tank.
So I don't think a lock is needed, usually I think they just cut a hole in the plastic tank
Real easy with all the guys that lift their trucks.
Most newer vehicles have anti-siphon valves or baffles in the neck to prevent siphoning. Back in the day, there used to be a device they called a "spider" that you could buy aftermarket and shove down the fill-pipe that would help prevent it.

I'm wondering why mine doesn't even have a debris flap at the top of the pipe. It's just an open hole, and in the 1-in-a-million chance that a leaf/bug/meteor fell in while I had the cap off I'd have a problem.

I didn't know the tank was plastic.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most newer vehicles have anti-siphon valves or baffles in the neck to prevent siphoning. Back in the day, there used to be a device they called a "spider" that you could buy aftermarket and shove down the fill-pipe that would help prevent it.

I'm wondering why mine doesn't even have a debris flap at the top of the pipe. It's just an open hole, and in the 1-in-a-million chance that a leaf/bug/meteor fell in while I had the cap off I'd have a problem.

I didn't know the tank was plastic.
delete: U gonna have to have others that have a 2023 Gas 2500 ref tank and flap. I haver 1500 capless, so no help.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a gas cap , that I think is the way it should be, but have no clue on the newer capless, sounds silly.
I have a gas generator and was wondering about sucking gas out of the truck for it, I have a couple suction pumps, with 3/8" plastic hose, But no way could I get the hoes down to the tank, there is something in there to stop that, I coil spring I think some one said.
The Honda CRV was the same , could not get a hose down to tank.
So I don't think a lock is needed, usually I think they just cut a hole in the plastic tank
Real easy with all the guys that lift their trucks.
Ford, RAM, and GM, 1500/Silverado truck, have done capless on the 1/2 tons for years

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before this thread, I have never seen or even heard of it.
Nothing new. Had capless on wife's 2010 F 150. So at least 13 years ago.,. I am kinda 50/50 on the capless stuff. I would prefer to have a gas cap, but world not gonna end, lmao. Just looked on line at 2023 Sierra 1500, lists capless.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I use my pickup in high dust environments, not convinced capless is that great an idea, so happy my 2500 still has a cap. The wife's Grand Cherokee never goes off pavement, capless there is no issue as far as dust goes. All in however, that added complexity of the capless sytem does not seem to be worth the zero benefit it provides. Takes 2 seconds to take the cap off when filling up.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use my pickup in high dust environments, not convinced capless is that great an idea, so happy my 2500 still has a cap. The wife's Grand Cherokee never goes off pavement, capless there is no issue as far as dust goes. All in however, that added complexity of the capless sytem does not seem to be worth the zero benefit it provides. Takes 2 seconds to take the cap off when filling up.
Yes, I was also wondering what the benefit would be. Of course, I don't see much benefit in power window or door locks either, so who am I to make that call.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obvious benefit: Not have to take the 2-4 seconds of taking off cap, and then letting swing and smack truck unless U try and put on the lil ledge in gas door if they still do that, lmao. :33::angels25::Big Laugh:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Obvious benefit: Not have to take the 2-4 seconds of taking off cap, and then letting swing and smack truck unless U try and put on the lil ledge in gas door if they still do that, lmao. :33::angels25::Big Laugh:
I just unscrew it and let it hang. Some very minor scratches under the gas door is nothing compared to what I'm going to put it through hunting and fishing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just unscrew it and let it hang. Some very minor scratches under the gas door is nothing compared to what I'm going to put it through hunting and fishing.
Should be a hanger tab on the gas door to hang the cap off when you remove it. Rams have been plastic tanks since at least 04,maybe even earlier then that.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Should be a hanger tab on the gas door to hang the cap off when you remove it. Rams have been plastic tanks since at least 04,maybe even earlier then that.
There is, but that little hanger tab is really tiny and not worth the time to fiddle with. I haven't crawled under it to look, but can I assume since the tank is plastic that they have plenty of protection surrounding it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There is, but that little hanger tab is really tiny and not worth the time to fiddle with. I haven't crawled under it to look, but can I assume since the tank is plastic that they have plenty of protection surrounding it?
Unless they changed the tab,i always found it pretty easy to hang the cap off. The tank's somewhat protected,but i wouldn't want to get it hung up on some rocks,as you might end up walking if you poked a hole in it,lol

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unless they changed the tab,i always found it pretty easy to hang the cap off. The tank's somewhat protected,but i wouldn't want to get it hung up on some rocks,as you might end up walking if you poked a hole in it,lol
On my fuel door, the hanger tab is about as wide as the plastic lanyard the cap is attached to so I have to press it in and pop it out again. If I used it regularly eventually it would cut through the lanyard and break it. Then I would have to find something to do with the cap while I gassed up. Just easier to let the cap hang.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On my fuel door, the hanger tab is about as wide as the plastic lanyard the cap is attached to so I have to press it in and pop it out again. If I used it regularly eventually it would cut through the lanyard and break it. Then I would have to find something to do with the cap while I gassed up. Just easier to let the cap hang.
Grab a decent pic of the tab,as i can't see them changing it.On my 14 the cap will hang off the tab ,you don't have to press the lanyard into the tab for it to hold the cap off the body of the truck

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Grab a decent pic of the tab,as i can't see them changing it.On my 14 the cap will hang off the tab ,you don't have to press the lanyard into the tab for it to hold the cap off the body of the truck
I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. I got pork steak on the BBQ right now that needs my attention. :happy160:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have had a Locking Gas Cap on every vehicle that i have owned since back in the early sixties.

When i bought my 2016 Ram & saw that it only had a plastic slide in fuel cap.
It did not take long to fix it

less than a month after it was dropped off at the dealership

1695765173936.png
about a month after i picked it up
1695765295223.png

1695765407542.png

1695765480833.png

3 months later

1695765593355.png

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There has to be a way to get that locking fuel door without removing the entire bed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357