tailgate swap: fixed -> multi function??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramltd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2023 Limited 1500 needs a new tailgate after I tore it up loading a trailer. dummy me - didn't lock down the ball hitch before running a zero-turn mower onto the trailer. trailer jumped off the ball and straight into the tailgate...

anyway, I believe I only need the "tailgate" (p/n: 68623973AB) and paint to match. everything else should swap over.

however, I'm curious if the multi-function tailgate is interchangeable with the standard version?

I have the rambox setup, and I've seen 2022 ramboxs with MFT.

Curious if anyone has done the swap, and what parts may be needed.

Thanks.

Mike

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This has been discussed quite a bit in the past, and it's something I was interested in doing on my first 5th gen (2020 Laramie w/ramboxes). The dimensions are the same between the two tailgates, so they can be swapped. Mechanically you'll need to replace the latch strikers on the sides of the bed. Since you have a rambox bed there would be no need for the extra braces in the front corners of the bed. This is the good news.

Now the bad. As far as I know no one has determined what needs to be done electrically. Since there is a second release you'll need electrical connections to it. And I have no idea if you could just connect power and have the middle latch release, or if it's something that would need to be programmed into the truck. Then there's also the issue of availability. You can't buy a complete MFT from Ram and used ones used to be pretty scarce. If you wanted a brand new one you'd have to purchase all the individual parts and assemble and paint it yourself. It's been three model years since I was looking, so they shouldn't be as hard to find a used one from a salvage yard.

It would be cool if someone actually did this. If you are successful with it please post up your details here.