Taillight to Trailer harness issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
Similar (but not the same) issues have been discussed and I cannot find the answer, here. My truck is a new style 2019 1500. Everything on the truck works in terms of lighting. Everything on the trailer works if given power. The pigtail on the trailer is brand new. However, wires connected correctly, the marker (running, parking, whatever you call them) do not work. If I touch the auxiliary (constant) power to the marker light wire on the trailer the lights work... so its not an issue with the trailer wiring or lights. I would think the issue lies between the taillight and the wiring harness, but... I've also read different things in older models about how Ram ran these connections independently, or with other circuits. Anyone else have this issue? Ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Similar (but not the same) issues have been discussed and I cannot find the answer, here. My truck is a new style 2019 1500. Everything on the truck works in terms of lighting. Everything on the trailer works if given power. The pigtail on the trailer is brand new. However, wires connected correctly, the marker (running, parking, whatever you call them) do not work. If I touch the auxiliary (constant) power to the marker light wire on the trailer the lights work... so its not an issue with the trailer wiring or lights. I would think the issue lies between the taillight and the wiring harness, but... I've also read different things in older models about how Ram ran these connections independently, or with other circuits. Anyone else have this issue? Ideas on how to troubleshoot?
Check your fuse box?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going bonkers on mine when I finally realized that I had the lights on auto instead of constant and the truck didn't allow them on lol?? .if that doesn't work. Go get a simple test light and test each pin in you truck. It will take 5 minutes.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Worst case scenario is a TIPM issue/failure, but the suggestions above are more likely.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like he said ^^

I believe it's fuse #29 under the hood.

Trailer running lights is a 20 amp "Blue" cartridge fuse. Also, U may have a bad ground on yer trailer. On my DT 2019 truck, I cannot plug in my trailer to the truck when the truck is on, lights, etc.,. I have to power down then plug in, or I will Blow the running lights cartridge fuse every time. I Gotta have a bad ground somewhere, just too lazy to look for it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second that motion from post #3 makes sure your headlights are not in Auto.
U know, I personally have never checked that, because when I tow with my DT truck, I always turn on the headlights for safety, and not by the Auto switch where mine normally stays, but by turning the headlight knob to headlights. The way fools drive these days, who knows, but I do every thing I can do to try and be seen.

Just like my MC. My Big Honda has "4" Headlights on 24/7 yet PPL say then never see me when they turn in front of me, idjuts, IMHO.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last time I hooked up my cargo trailer in the evening. Everything was fine and then they went off. I couldn't get them to go back on
All fuses were perfect. I had to switch everything off, start the truck, turn lights back back on and they all illuminated. It was like the truck canceled them out to save power when not started, it was frustrating as hell, but all was resolved