Tall guy with a tall-ish truck (finally) AKA Ramtanic!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TARDISGUy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 MegaCab 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone. Sort of new to Mopar but not really. Parents had a Plymouth minivan growing up, My first truck was a 91 Dakota, only lasted a year before the torque converter split and I sold it. Mom has a 08 magnum 3.8/auto that I am the designated mechanic for so I have become more recently familiar to Mopar. But now I have recently acquired a 08 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 5.7/auto on a 2 or 4 in lift. I knew it was gonna need some work when I bought it but it was a good deal and it is the kind of truck I have wanted and am beginning to need. I have 2 other trucks that I love with all my heart but they do fall short in fuel mileage (89 chevy extended cab/long bed 2500 with a 350 & 3 speed auto w/ 4.11 gear) and rear passenger space for my 4ft tall 9 year old on road trips to the NASCAR race while pulling the pop-up camper (91 chevy extended cab/short bed 1500 with a 350 & 5 speed manual)

I am very mechanical minded and able so like I said, I knew the Ram was going to need some work when I bought it. First thing was: the motor was probably no good. Chocolate milk when I drained the oil, so I ran my borescope down cylinder 1 and the top of the piston is all beat up and cylinder 3 is full of water/oil mix. Had a quality rebuilt motor (w/ 4 year warranty) put in it by a trusted shop along with trans fluid service that showed no issues (trans fluid was good color/smell, filter was clear of debris and pan was clear of sludge) It runs and sounds great!
I am in South Texas so rust is not normally a problem BUT the previous owner was a competitive Salt Water Angler so this truck saw a lot of time at the coast and was not underwashed very well. As a result there is a lot of surface rust on the bottom side especially on the frame and suspension on the front half of the truck. Very little pitting and it is cleaning up pretty well with a wire wheel on a grinder and Rustoleum. Floors and body panels are not affected except for a few spots on the bed but I will get back to that. Some other metal items did not fare so well. The engine oil pan and trans pan both needed to be replaced during the engine swap. All the brake lines from the master cylinder to the calipers needed to be changed as leaks were forming just driving around. The wheels and tires were junk from salt water exposure. The bed had rust on the edge of the passenger wheel well and a rusted through spot in the middle of the bed as the bed had a 1 in thick layer of sand in it with a layer of old fishing junk and trash on top of that. Replaced the bed and painted the frame while it was off.

Interior is dirty but cleaning up OK. I love the space!! First vehicle that I had to move the seat closer to the dash so my 6ft 4in self could reach the dash controls! Smells fishy inside and there is sand in all the nooks and crannies but mostly just regular dirty hand holds, door handles and seat stains. The Radio half works. The on/off and volume work but the screen doesn't come on and you cant change anything. The 3 AM channels that the defaults happen to fall on sound great though.

That pretty much sums it up at this point. Still working out some gremlins that sometimes affect the starter but I made another post about that with more detail. Glad to be here!!!

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hi everyone. Sort of new to Mopar but not really. Parents had a Plymouth minivan growing up, My first truck was a 91 Dakota, only lasted a year before the torque converter split and I sold it. Mom has a 08 magnum 3.8/auto that I am the designated mechanic for so I have become more recently familiar to Mopar. But now I have recently acquired a 08 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 5.7/auto on a 2 or 4 in lift. I knew it was gonna need some work when I bought it but it was a good deal and it is the kind of truck I have wanted and am beginning to need. I have 2 other trucks that I love with all my heart but they do fall short in fuel mileage (89 chevy extended cab/long bed 2500 with a 350 & 3 speed auto w/ 4.11 gear) and rear passenger space for my 4ft tall 9 year old on road trips to the NASCAR race while pulling the pop-up camper (91 chevy extended cab/short bed 1500 with a 350 & 5 speed manual)

I am very mechanical minded and able so like I said, I knew the Ram was going to need some work when I bought it. First thing was: the motor was probably no good. Chocolate milk when I drained the oil, so I ran my borescope down cylinder 1 and the top of the piston is all beat up and cylinder 3 is full of water/oil mix. Had a quality rebuilt motor (w/ 4 year warranty) put in it by a trusted shop along with trans fluid service that showed no issues (trans fluid was good color/smell, filter was clear of debris and pan was clear of sludge) It runs and sounds great!
I am in South Texas so rust is not normally a problem BUT the previous owner was a competitive Salt Water Angler so this truck saw a lot of time at the coast and was not underwashed very well. As a result there is a lot of surface rust on the bottom side especially on the frame and suspension on the front half of the truck. Very little pitting and it is cleaning up pretty well with a wire wheel on a grinder and Rustoleum. Floors and body panels are not affected except for a few spots on the bed but I will get back to that. Some other metal items did not fare so well. The engine oil pan and trans pan both needed to be replaced during the engine swap. All the brake lines from the master cylinder to the calipers needed to be changed as leaks were forming just driving around. The wheels and tires were junk from salt water exposure. The bed had rust on the edge of the passenger wheel well and a rusted through spot in the middle of the bed as the bed had a 1 in thick layer of sand in it with a layer of old fishing junk and trash on top of that. Replaced the bed and painted the frame while it was off.

Interior is dirty but cleaning up OK. I love the space!! First vehicle that I had to move the seat closer to the dash so my 6ft 4in self could reach the dash controls! Smells fishy inside and there is sand in all the nooks and crannies but mostly just regular dirty hand holds, door handles and seat stains. The Radio half works. The on/off and volume work but the screen doesn't come on and you cant change anything. The 3 AM channels that the defaults happen to fall on sound great though.

That pretty much sums it up at this point. Still working out some gremlins that sometimes affect the starter but I made another post about that with more detail. Glad to be here!!!
Post some pics of your fleet!

OP
OP
TARDISGUy

TARDISGUy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 MegaCab 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As requested!
Fleet Picture time!!
TOMMY 12-2021.jpg
89 chevy 2500 350 w/ 3-speed auto trans and 4.11's aka Tommy. My uncle owned it since new, had a tommy lift on the back and hauled vending machines daily until a few years back when his health made him stop. I got it from him soon after. Tommy is a family member and I've had a lot of childhood memories and adult adventures in this truck. 658k spread over 3 motor and 3 transmission rebuilds. Still starts everytime and we are going to put the tommy lift back on it. (Uncle moved the tommy lift to his longbed 454/ 5-speed dually but his health makes it too hard to drive a 5 speed anymore so he's gonna sell dually)

GRAY CHEVY 12-2021.jpg
91 chevy 1500 350 w/ NV4500 5 speed. 164k original motor. Bought September 2010. Done this and that to it but nothing big until the auto trans it came with gave up in Oklahoma on the return trip from Missouri April 2016. It was a adventure getting it home but that's another story. Took the opportunity to go 5 speed and installed in the driveway over a week span after work. I've had some adventures in this truck too and still would take it anywhere, anytime.

Now the main event... the 2008 Megacab 5.7/auto aka Ramtanic (daughter came up with Titanic but you gotta have Ram in there somewhere!)
DODGE 12-2021.jpg
How it was when I bought it July 2022. Since then I have had the motor replaced, new pipe bumpers front and rear, wheels and tires replaced, replaced the bed because of corrosion, all brake components replaced due to corrosion, new taillights, and a number of smaller iitems (hood struts, grab handle repair from Gino's, transfer case motor, etc) and ongoing sand and paint on frame to prevent further corrosion.

DODGE 2-6-23.jpg
How it looks today. Still to do is front spring swap. PO put lift coils AND a spacer in the front so there is no extension left on the shock and it rides like a forklift. I am also on the search for a new drivers seat. The PO was also a BIG boy and there is no foam left in the seat bottom or back. As noted above, the radio is no good so that's on the list too along with changing the cluster bulbs while the trim is apart (1 is burned out but I am going to do them all). I am currently building a headache rack for it and it should be welded up and ready for paint this weekend.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
welcome and nic truck