TFL’s 6.4 test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Better downhill braking programming needed. About what I expected uphill. Much better than the 6 spd towing 12,500 with 4.10's going uphill. At least the 8 spd will downshift even when oil temps were around 250. Must have grabbed second gear when it did. Its a good package that'll provide much better stability than a 1/2 ton while pulling but still doesn't change anything that we've said on this forum 6 years ago. If your towing more than 10k frequently get the Cummins. I'd like to see how this compares to the Ford 7.3L with the 3.55.

Last edited:

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just finished watching a few minutes ago>>>>>Get the 4.10 rear end to compare a little better with Ford and GM>>>>>Also I would just get the ******* in the end if your going to tow that many lbs everyday and most people would agree>>>>>But if you need just a little more than a half ton pickup I feel Ram did good with this 8 speed and the 6.4>>>>

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not an unexpected result, but a good one in my opinion. I suspect the 4.10 gears would have helped narrow the gap substantially, even with 2k more towing. Difference of 9% can be substantial: 3500 RPM with 3.73 gears would be 3800 with 4.10 gears. Gas engines need to rev. If Ram offered 4.30 or 4.56 gears that would be amazing.

The truck will engine brake to red line if you use the gear select feature. Not sure that I care that I have to do it myself.

Engine oil temp was a bit elevated, not unexpected. You need to change your oil sooner when towing. What was really impressive was the coolant and transmission temps seemed almost normal.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Not an unexpected result, but a good one in my opinion. I suspect the 4.10 gears would have helped narrow the gap substantially, even with 2k more towing. Difference of 9% can be substantial: 3500 RPM with 3.73 gears would be 3800 with 4.10 gears. Gas engines need to rev. If Ram offered 4.30 or 4.56 gears that would be amazing.

There's a good chance that with an additional 2K that with 4.10's the truck would run slower than it did with 3.73 and 14k. With 3.73, it could only run about 45 mph and it was at its rev limit in 2nd gear. With 4.10's, it'll hit the rev limit sooner at a lower speed if it cannot hold the higher gear which was 3rd in this case. That was my biggest question with this particular test. Just glad to see the 8 speed is a huge improvement and the truck didn't go into fail safe mode.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
About what I expected given that the final gear ratio and upper gears are pretty much the same as the older 6 speed. 6, 7, 8 are pretty close to 4, 5, 6 of the old transmission. The additional gears are at a closer ratio down low so this might be a good choice for someone that tows around town with a lot of stop and go type driving?

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1st gear on the old 6 speed and the 2nd gear on the 8 speed are basically the same, main difference is the truck didn’t default to fail safe mode. However, the constant shifting up and down was annoying to watch. I know they do it to be fair and just hammer down to 65 or max the truck can do, still better than the chubby w it’s 6speed

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I really enjoy TFL's tests and reviews in general, and I watched the big 3's HD gas tests.

Bottom line they're not equal tests.

Im a Ford guy, but they had 4.30's and tested in the dead of winter. Cold air is denser and makes more power. It was however 2k more lbs than the Ram test.

I still think they need to do all the testing on the same day with the same trailer.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I think you can’t go wrong with either Ford, GM or Ram products. Each has their own loyal following and dedicated haters.

I agree, take a 12,000# trailer and have each run it up the Ike and see what numbers each puts down.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I really enjoy TFL's tests and reviews in general, and I watched the big 3's HD gas tests.

Bottom line they're not equal tests.

Im a Ford guy, but they had 4.30's and tested in the dead of winter. Cold air is denser and makes more power. It was however 2k more lbs than the Ram test.

I still think they need to do all the testing on the same day with the same trailer.

I agree in that I would like to see as close to apples to apples test as possible. I think the TFL guys would also but I bet logistically it’s tough to get similarly spec’d trucks from the different manufacturers at the same time. I think TFL does a great job getting as close as possible.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is the new video where they did a 1000 mile highway run with the truck. 15.4 mpg average on the highway....

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Truck didn't do to bad for the amount of power 6.4 is putting out. To bad tfl is about how the computer runs the transmission. I would like to see an a good head to head with a set load.

I did enjoy the last fuel test, as I do enjoy pondering stepping up from my half ton. F250 on 37s did awesome, wonder how the ram would do on 37s.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Truck didn't do to bad for the amount of power 6.4 is putting out. To bad tfl is about how the computer runs the transmission. I would like to see an a good head to head with a set load.

I did enjoy the last fuel test, as I do enjoy pondering stepping up from my half ton. F250 on 37s did awesome, wonder how the ram would do on 37s.

If I am not mistaken the Ford 7.3 they drove back has a tune on it.

I’m hoping they’ll do one of their MPG loops with the 6.4 once it has some more miles on it. My average has steadily risen since I bought my truck and flat highway cruising is really impressive.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I am not mistaken the Ford 7.3 they drove back has a tune on it.

I’m hoping they’ll do one of their MPG loops with the 6.4 once it has some more miles on it. My average has steadily risen since I bought my truck and flat highway cruising is really impressive.

Not tuned. Stock engine, Lifted on 37's with stock 3.55 gears. They did delete one of the resonators and put in a flow pro muffler.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not tuned. Stock engine, Lifted on 37's with stock 3.55 gears. They did delete one of the resonators and put in a flow pro muffler.

Yep. I do believe Andre did say they are going to have it tuned soon though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981