The Town Drunk (1997 Ram)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
On earlier LA engines, the thermostat housing/ hose nipple was die cast aluminum, and prone to leaking, too. There was an aftermarket cast iron housing available, and I usually opted for that. I don't know if one is available for later Magnum engines, but NAPA could probably let you know.

OP
OP
IrocRam

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On earlier LA engines, the thermostat housing/ hose nipple was die cast aluminum, and prone to leaking, too. There was an aftermarket cast iron housing available, and I usually opted for that. I don't know if one is available for later Magnum engines, but NAPA could probably let you know.

I'm guessing the ones for these trucks are either really thin steel or aluminum because they aren't very thick and are light. I replaced everything involved with the water pump and thermostat though anyways.

OP
OP
IrocRam

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little update as I have been off of here for months now.

I had a blow out on the hottest day of the year here on the freeway and didn't have a spare so I had to have it towed home.I parked it for a few months as I was busy with a bunch of other stuff and parting out an 87 iroc camaro. I got rid of what was left of the iroc last week and just got all new tires yesterday. Radar Renegade R7 315 75 R16 mud terrains is what I got for $730 new. Pretty good deal.

I will have to replace the rear main seal, oil pan seal, flush the engine and transmission, as well as get a front bumper still. The interior is pretty much new ish as the previous owner put new carpet in and the rest is pretty good except the driver seat. I plan on doing the seals and flushing the engine and transmission in a few weeks.