Thermostat housing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I sprung a pin hole leak on the thermostat housing.....of course one month after the warranty expires.
The question I have is do you need to drain the coolant just to change out the housing? I understand that there could be some residual coolant in the top hose. Or maybe at least drain some of the coolant?
Also, then if I need to top off the radiator, how do you know when it's full? I'm used to be able to see the top of the radiator through the cap.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No offence It sounds like you should just have a small private shop do it its a fairly simple/quick job shouldnt cost much at all. Yes you will lose a good bit of coolant however you need to bleed/burp the air out of the system once your done it can be a pain in the ass you could overheat if not done correctly which is bad on these engines also change the thermostat while your there its part of the seal any ways.

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No offence It sounds like you should just have a small private shop do it its a fairly simple/quick job shouldnt cost much at all. Yes you will lose a good bit of coolant however you need to bleed/burp the air out of the system once your done it can be a pain in the ass you could overheat if not done correctly which is bad on these engines also change the thermostat while your there its part of the seal any ways.
No offence taken :D
If I had more time, I would have done it. I caved and took it my guy.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smart cookie. Follow you gut feeling. If unsure, ask. If you still unsure, take it to your trusted mechanic. This will save time and worry. The work will be done correctly, IMHO