2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm in need of a new thermostat so I checked five auto parts stores near me.

They all offered 180F ("alternate temperature") and 203F ("OE specified temperature"). NONE offered a 195F which is what I was looking for without a trip to the dealer.

What's interesting is that both the service manual and Mopar online show a temp of 195F. The current P/N of the thermostat according to Mopar parts online is 52028898AJ (195F). It suprrcedes - AI which was also 195F.

Did anybody replace their (original) thermostat on their hemi and make note of what was stamped on it?

I see lots of people stating that 203F is "stock", but nobody has backed that up with documentation that can be found anywhere.

195F has documentation, but why are none available as aftermarket if that's the case?

So does anybody know what these actually were built with?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm in need of a new thermostat so I checked five auto parts stores near me.

They all offered 180F ("alternate temperature") and 203F ("OE specified temperature"). NONE offered a 195F which is what I was looking for without a trip to the dealer.

What's interesting is that both the service manual and Mopar online show a temp of 195F. The current P/N of the thermostat according to Mopar parts online is 52028898AJ (195F). It suprrcedes - AI which was also 195F.

Did anybody replace their (original) thermostat on their hemi and make note of what was stamped on it?

I see lots of people stating that 203F is "stock", but nobody has backed that up with documentation that can be found anywhere.

195F has documentation, but why are none available as aftermarket if that's the case?

So does anybody know what these actually were built with?
I've got about a 1/2 dozen OEM/stock thermostats laying around,all are stamped 203. Are you sure you weren't looking up a 4.7's thermostat,they're a 195 t-stat

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
I've got about a 1/2 dozen OEM/stock thermostats laying around,all are stamped 203. Are you sure you weren't looking up a 4.7's thermostat,they're a 195 t-stat
Yup thanks. I double-checked. I'm looking at a 2013 to 2016 Ram Service manual that was posted here on ramforum. On page 11,772 of the .pdf there is a section for the 5.7L that mentions the thermostat is closed below 195F. I also attached the store.mopar.com snip of the part it specifies for my 2014. It specifically states 195F. I even checked for a 2023 Ram 1500 hemi and it references the same part.

I'm not saying Mopar does not/did not make a 203F part. But I still have not found any OE literature that mentions it as the proper thermostat for any Ram 1500 hemi. I assume it exists somewhere based on how many people say that's the part. But I wish somebody could produce that document for me :-(

What vehicle are your 203 Mopar parts for? How do you know?

Attachments

• 195F.png
    195F.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 9

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yup thanks. I double-checked. I'm looking at a 2013 to 2016 Ram Service manual that was posted here on ramforum. On page 11,772 of the .pdf there is a section for the 5.7L that mentions the thermostat is closed below 195F. I also attached the store.mopar.com snip of the part it specifies for my 2014. It specifically states 195F. I even checked for a 2023 Ram 1500 hemi and it references the same part.

I'm not saying Mopar does not/did not make a 203F part. But I still have not found any OE literature that mentions it as the proper thermostat for any Ram 1500 hemi. I assume it exists somewhere based on how many people say that's the part. But I wish somebody could produce that document for me :-(

What vehicle are your 203 Mopar parts for? How do you know?
The literature you've found is wrong.All 5.7's use a 203 thermostat.Don't believe me,pull the t-stat out of your 14 if it's the OEM stat,and look carefully inside the barrel,it'll have 203 stamped in it.You could also go to your local dealer and ask them if they'll let you look at a new thermostat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
The literature you've found is wrong.All 5.7's use a 203 thermostat.Don't believe me,pull the t-stat out of your 14 if it's the OEM stat,and look carefully inside the barrel,it'll have 203 stamped in it.You could also go to your local dealer and ask them if they'll let you look at a new thermostat
So you don't have any documentation either?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So you don't have any documentation either?
And i'm not even remotely interested in getting you a picture.Go pull your thermostat if it's an OEM thermostat and look at it.
You lost me at documentation,and i lost interest in this thread right about then.
Get off your rear and go look for yourself if you need documention,lol

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
My truck was purchased used and apparently it already had the stat replaced once (with a 180 for some reason) which I found out when I pulled it earlier today. Hence - why I thought I'd let the community respond with what I really should put back in there. It is cold outside (i don't have a heated place to work) and I'd rather not do it twice. At my age my fingers don't work in these temperatures so well. Although 8 degrees is really no biggie in the end - I could use either one I suppose. Was just a curiosity as to why the discrepancy. Thanks for your time.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck was purchased used and apparently it already had the stat replaced once (with a 180 for some reason) which I found out when I pulled it earlier today. Hence - why I thought I'd let the community respond with what I really should put back in there. It is cold outside (i don't have a heated place to work) and I'd rather not do it twice. At my age my fingers don't work in these temperatures so well. Although 8 degrees is really no biggie in the end - I could use either one I suppose. Was just a curiosity as to why the discrepancy. Thanks for your time.

Whoever had your truck did the right thing by running a 180 and keeping it cooler. I swapped my oem for a 180 as well, no regrets yet (the harsh winter months of Jan/Feb are still coming though)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What temp does your electric fan kick in at.Your truck should have 2 fans a mechanical fan,and an electric fan ahead of it,inside the shroud, that's usually dedicated for the A/C. Being a 14 i wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been tuned to turn the electric fan on at around 195/200F. If so throwing a stock 203 t-stat back in it,might cause the electric fan to run constantly.Find out at what temp the electric fan kicks in at,before you swap the thermostat.Put the evicc on engine info,so you can monitor the engine temp in real time to check the e-fans operation.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Look one up for a 2500\3500, pretty sure it'll list either a 192 or 195 degree t/stat, can't remember which, but that's what I put in my 2010 1500.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
This is what I have in my 14 RT. It's essentially a 192. My engine temp runs 195

The one I replaced was a 203. I looked for it in my garage but couldn't find. I may have thrown it out.

Attachments

• Resized_20220411_222844.jpeg
    Resized_20220411_222844.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, here's a question, what's the point? Does a 10* cooler stat make much of a difference? What does it improve?

It gives me headroom while towing, and probably also decreases wear. Before I did the changes to my truck (which included removing AGS and swapping to 180), I would tow in the summer and sit around 110C, while going up a large grade it would hit 120C. Now I tow around 105 and hit 110 up the same grade.

So it doesn't decrease the peak temps you will get, but it increases the amount of time it takes to hit peak temps because you start at a lower temperature.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
180s should of been in from factory day 1. But its probably EPA ******** like the rest of the useless crap they have on this engine that you have to remove to get it running right.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, so since I removed the clutch fan and went to V6 electric fan only, and I know the fan is usually running when I get ready to shut the truck off, it would make sense for me to replace mine also. My truck is only driven in summer, for cruiser/show with some runs on the strip, and I lowered the fan on temp with my Diablo.
So a 180* would be better for me?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK, so since I removed the clutch fan and went to V6 electric fan only, and I know the fan is usually running when I get ready to shut the truck off, it would make sense for me to replace mine also. My truck is only driven in summer, for cruiser/show with some runs on the strip, and I lowered the fan on temp with my Diablo.
So a 180* would be better for me?

Yes, it doesn't make much sense to turn on the fan sooner when the Tstat isn't opening up any earlier.

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
This is what I have in my 14 RT. It's essentially a 192. My engine temp runs 195

The one I replaced was a 203. I looked for it in my garage but couldn't find. I may have thrown it out.
Thank you for that info. I was trying to find something in that range. Lots of people in love with the 180, but it's not uncommon to hit -10F or -15F where I'm at so I'll take the extra 12 degrees, lol. Seems that's what the engineers wanted early on anyway because that's what's in the FSM (and after much research on the internet I've now found many folks who were running 195-ish from new). I see why people might want lower or higher. There is valid rationale for either. To each his own. Just call me Goldilocks, lol.

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
What temp does your electric fan kick in at.Your truck should have 2 fans a mechanical fan,and an electric fan ahead of it,inside the shroud, that's usually dedicated for the A/C. Being a 14 i wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been tuned to turn the electric fan on at around 195/200F. If so throwing a stock 203 t-stat back in it,might cause the electric fan to run constantly.Find out at what temp the electric fan kicks in at,before you swap the thermostat.Put the evicc on engine info,so you can monitor the engine temp in real time to check the e-fans operation.
Yes! Thank you for that bit of info. Regardless of what I stick in there I will check the fan temperature thresholds. Lots of good info on here. By the way, although I don't have a bunch in my hands, I found a few pictures of the mopar parts ending in "AI" (old) and "AJ" (new) and I see "203" stamped on both. So seems for a while now that's been the "real" number just as you stated (even though Mopar sells them as 195s). I trust the stamp. I've found oodles of people who are reading 195-200 range with stock tstats, but they are early Gen 4 vehicles. Either they really did have a different part back then or they are smoking something (or both these days, lol). Can't explain that data.