1500 Tstat Housing Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campin Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I haven't seen this posted before I thought I'd share my experience - apologies if someone has already documented.

This happened to my 2017 RAM 1500 5.7L, 128K miles, original coolant. Stranded my family and I on the highway in BFE, cost an expensive tow, and multiple trips to the auto parts store. It started to overheat then blew water from where the upper rad hose meets the engine block at the thermostat housing. Towed it home, replaced the upper hose, thermostat, gasket, and clamps but it still leaked. Found this pinhole in the tstat housing (parts diagram calls it the "water outlet") after replacing basically everything else. I don't know if the tstat failed to open and it pressurized enough to create this hole or the other way around, but I recommend to inspect or replace this part when you change out the tstat. I'm interested to hear what you experts might say.
Image (9).jpg

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar issue with the water pump outlet pipe a few months ago at ~130,000 miles. While driving i smelled coolant and it turned out to be a pin hole leak coming from the pipe though there was surface rust in the area of the leak. I got lucky that i wasn't far from home when i noticed the leak. Fortunately i could replace just the pipe instead of the whole water pump assembly. The old pipe was thin painted steel similar to the thermostat housing and the new Mopar replacement part was a much thicker stainless steel pipe. After reading this post i'll be ordering a new thermostat housing and replace the old one as well maybe the new ones are beefier

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since I haven't seen this posted before I thought I'd share my experience - apologies if someone has already documented.

This happened to my 2017 RAM 1500 5.7L, 128K miles, original coolant. Stranded my family and I on the highway in BFE, cost an expensive tow, and multiple trips to the auto parts store. It started to overheat then blew water from where the upper rad hose meets the engine block at the thermostat housing. Towed it home, replaced the upper hose, thermostat, gasket, and clamps but it still leaked. Found this pinhole in the tstat housing (parts diagram calls it the "water outlet") after replacing basically everything else. I don't know if the tstat failed to open and it pressurized enough to create this hole or the other way around, but I recommend to inspect or replace this part when you change out the tstat. I'm interested to hear what you experts might say.
View attachment 528987
Great heads up. Thanx

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

Best of the best right here!
You want beefie and with style... Billet Technology is where it's at! (imho, that is)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One of the reasons why you should change your anti-freeze every so often,as it helps slow down galvanic corrosion,which basically eats metal

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Best of the best right here!
You want beefie and with style... Billet Technology is where it's at! (imho, that is)
Those don't work on the later trucks with the oil heater/cooler. The later trucks have a coolant nipple off the t-stat housing to feed coolant to the oil heater,you have to make sure you order the tapped housing for the later trucks