Things I like better about my 2016 Laramie than my 2015 F150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry in advance for the length, but here is a list of things I like better about the Ram than the Ford, as well as some things I like better about the Ford than the Ram. This is based on less than two weeks of ownership, so keep this in mind. Most have to do with comfort and convenience so far, but there will be more mechanical observations over time.

I'm sure I'll forget some things, but I intend to add, change or clarify things over time as I think of them, discover or encounter them, or as things come up...good or bad. Also, these are *my* opinions. As always, ymmv.

Like better about the Ram:
  1. The ride...MUCH better...my single most favorite feature about the Ram
  2. The handling - very smooth, luxury car-like - right up there with the ride.
  3. The steering wheel - I *think* I like the Ram's better...not sure why exactly, can't put my finger on it (yes, pun intended)
  4. I think the black leather seats are a bit nicer and more comfortable than the F150
  5. Reverse tilting side mirrors
  6. UConnect - not even close...Sync blows in comparison...I love the layout, how intuitive it is, and the myriad options available
  7. The Alpine system blows away the standard audio system in the Ford
  8. The sound of the 5.7L Hemi exhaust, although the 5.0L Coyote sounds pretty good in its own right
  9. Speaking of the sound, the dual exhaust looks great
  10. The 8 speed transmission - sweet, great performance so far
  11. The wheel to wheel OEM step bars
  12. Fuel economy so far about 1mpg better than the Ford
  13. The cell phone holders! As a geek, this is one my very favorite features of the vehicle, since I am always on the hunt for the perfect holder (usually used CD slot holders but they block some of the center stack).
  14. Auto dimming headlights (my version of the F150 did not have them)
  15. Rain sensing wipers (my version of the F150 did not have these, either)
  16. Ability to turn on backup camera whenever I want/need
  17. Cooled (ventilated) seats work much better than in my F150
  18. Heated back seats (my version of the F150 did not have them)
  19. Those storage cubby holes under the back floormats
  20. The extra storage compartment under the driver's side rear seat
  21. The many front seat area storage compartments - location and design much better - lots of thoughtful options
  22. Options and layout of the center cluster - the Ford's is nice, but I think I like Ram's better
  23. Behind-the-wheel volume and channel buttons - very intuitive (except I wish they switched sides)
  24. Those little fold out platforms under the back seats
  25. The spray-in bedliner (my Ford didn't have it)
  26. The HomeLink buttons have much better range - the F150 blows here
  27. The RKE key fobs-to-memory seats...they adjust the seats when you get into the truck...very cool
  28. The 32-gal fuel tank...just the right size for me...not as big as the 36-gal I had in the '09 and '13 but much bigger than the 23-gal in the '15
  29. The cruise control on the F150 always wants to fight me when I try to brake/tap it off...have to push pretty hard to get it to disengage...the Ram works as it should

Things I like better about the F150 (off the top of my head)
  1. The BLIS and Cross Traffic alerts...these work great and were shockingly helpful to me
  2. The backup sensor/alarm
  3. I miss my sunroof (my Laramie doesn't have one, and the Ford's was the full panoramic one which is really very nice
  4. The UConnect 8.4A does not allow Sirius XM Travelink and cannot be programmed for it...I really used that a lot!
  5. Tailgate step
  6. Plenty of 12V outlets...not enough in the Ram for my personal liking
  7. No rotary dial shifter...center shifter is nice (but it's also nice to have the extra space in the Ram
  8. Not quite as much legroom in the front or back...enough, but only barely for me (and yes I've adjusted the pedals all the way back)...overall, just a smidge less roomy than the F150
  9. Does not have the short center seat in the rear like the Ram
  10. Lay flat rear floor
  11. The no-lines rear sliding window
  12. Has three memory seat positions instead of two (the third one is/was my lunchtime power-nap position... :)
  13. The splotlights on the side mirrors
  14. The bed/cargo lights (my particular Ram doesn't have them)
  15. The washer fluid spray nozzles are not on the hood
  16. The wheels were awesome on my Sport version of the F150...the plastic, chrome covers on the Ram are cheap
  17. Had more preset positions I could program into the radio (yes, I use a lot of them)
  18. Could change the color of the ambient lighting in the cabin (although I didn't really do that)
  19. No sunglasses holder...why?!

OP
OP
bigoldthor

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if you read this on Tapatalk. It doesn't format the bullet list. Believe me, I don't like walls of text either.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That good unbiased info there. Thanks for the info. I'm sure each of the major truck brands have their own pro/cons, but to get apples to apples comparison is always welcomed.

Truck name: Rampage

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice list! I can see all the points, especially the BLIS and cross traffic. Kind of inexcusable to not have the option at this point. Also, and I might be in the minority, I love the rotary dial shifter! Gives you so much space in the center and a lot more modern than column shifters.

OP
OP
bigoldthor

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you turn on the backup camera at any time? Good write up. Coworker has the panoramic sun roof in his lariat and it is pretty slick.
It's under settings on mine. Forget which screen but pretty easy to find. I enjoy it so much I made it one of my quick launch shortcuts. Idk enough about the Ram options yet to tell you which option packages have it, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigoldthor

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice list! I can see all the points, especially the BLIS and cross traffic. Kind of inexcusable to not have the option at this point. Also, and I might be in the minority, I love the rotary dial shifter! Gives you so much space in the center and a lot more modern than column shifters.
It's growing on me. [emoji41]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you turn on the backup camera at any time? Good write up. Coworker has the panoramic sun roof in his lariat and it is pretty slick.

I think this is new for the 2016s. My 2015 doesn't have the option. Also new is the comment on "quick shortcuts". Really wish they would update Uconnect with the features of the 2016s.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How come you do not have the Travel Link. Mine does. Weather map and all. YES the controls on the back of the wheel should be reversed.

OP
OP
bigoldthor

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How come you do not have the Travel Link. Mine does. Weather map and all. YES the controls on the back of the wheel should be reversed.

Travel Link, HD radio and I think something else are only included in the 8.4/AN version. I have the 8.4/A.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I think this is new for the 2016s. My 2015 doesn't have the option. Also new is the comment on "quick shortcuts". Really wish they would update Uconnect with the features of the 2016s.

Not going to happen, I hate to say. I read that they changed manufacturers for the 8.4 units (and programming) for the 2015 model year, and so the 2015s maybe (BIG maybe) will get the updates that the 2016s enjoy. Definitely not earlier trucks.

Besides, its another way for them to try and get you to buy another, newer truck... :shrug:

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Laramie Crew Cab
I have been a ford guy for a long time and you pretty much listed all of the reasons I went with Dodge instead of Ford......Price of Dodge was cheaper too

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Travel Link, HD radio and I think something else are only included in the 8.4/AN version. I have the 8.4/A.

And if you upgrade the 8.4/A software with the Nav package accessory, you still won't get those features as there seems to be some hardware involved.

OP
OP
bigoldthor

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, found another thing I don't like as much about the Ram: it was two full classes higher (than a 2015 F150 FX4 Lariat CC with most all of the goodies) at the Indiana BMV, so it cost me $518 to register it. And that's two months into the 12 month window. Would've been probably over $550 if I'd bought it in Feb when my year resets.

Fargin' bastages. They put it in dry and broke it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500