Thinking about downsizing. Thoughts? Regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m thinking about getting rid of my 2018 1500 Sport for a Jeep Gladiator Overland. I was a Wrangler guy for many years and got rid of my last one because I got sick of driving a manual. I’ve grown quite accustomed to the luxuries of the 1500, specifically the quality ride (compared to Jeeps lol) and the amount of room. I believe my 15yo daughter has reached her max height of 5-10 but my 14yo son is at 5-06 and still growing. The gladiator would replace the 1500 as our “family” car (wife drives a BMW 3 series). We roadtrip 3-4 times a year. I miss having a Jeep, but will I regret downsizing? Will the kids hate having less room in the back? Has anyone ever downsized trucks, if so do you regret it?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went from a 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab, 4x4, to a 2019 1500 classic crew cab 4x4, to a 2022 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4. I definitely miss the interior room of my 2019 Ram classic CC. I miss the ride quality of the Ram as well.

Similar to you, 3 of my kids are college age now. One is 12, so we're rarely needing the room of a full sized crew cab, but when you need it, you miss it.

A smaller truck is a lot nicer in parking lots and parking in general. Other than that, there really isn't a lot going for them.

I bit on the 2022 Frontier last fall because of the insane trade-in allowance I got for my 2019 Ram.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thinking about getting rid of my 2018 1500 Sport for a Jeep Gladiator Overland. I was a Wrangler guy for many years and got rid of my last one because I got sick of driving a manual. I’ve grown quite accustomed to the luxuries of the 1500, specifically the quality ride (compared to Jeeps lol) and the amount of room. I believe my 15yo daughter has reached her max height of 5-10 but my 14yo son is at 5-06 and still growing. The gladiator would replace the 1500 as our “family” car (wife drives a BMW 3 series). We roadtrip 3-4 times a year. I miss having a Jeep, but will I regret downsizing? Will the kids hate having less room in the back? Has anyone ever downsized trucks, if so do you regret it?
U gonna miss it. And if the 18 is paid off, well, U know, our great economy, lol.

Pretty sure the Jeeps have V6 also, but hey, yer dime OP, do as U see fit.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you own your home? Tow much? If so to either question, keep the Ram. Bed space to haul lumber and other home stuff. When I bought my Ram, I looked at the Gladiator, was not impressed with the interior, felt and looked cheap especially the fiberglass roof panels.
To each their own, you do you.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't see much advantage to going smaller: less capable truck, same fuel economy, costs money to trade etc.

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Pppp

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I forgot to mention one little benefit in my above. My Frontier is a heck of a lot easier to remove snow from than my Rams were! lol.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve swapped back and forth between full size and midsize a bunch of times.

The Gladiator is the crudest of the midsize trucks, insofar as noise, steering, and on road handling. It’s a far inferior road trip machine vs the RAM. As a former Jeep owner I expect you already know this.

I own Jeeps for the off road performance. For a city or short haul DD they’re not bad either. For long highway travel they’re at the bottom of my personal list.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve swapped back and forth between full size and midsize a bunch of times.

The Gladiator is the crudest of the midsize trucks, insofar as noise, steering, and on road handling. It’s a far inferior road trip machine vs the RAM. As a former Jeep owner I expect you already know this.

I own Jeeps for the off road performance. For a city or short haul DD they’re not bad either. For long highway travel they’re at the bottom of my personal list.
Years ago, I took a trip from TX to NJ to TX in my sons Honda Civic. Afta that trip, I swore and made a promise to myself, no trips in midsize trucks, cars or whateva. The ride of the RAM is just so much more comfortable and pleasant. But maybe that is just me, but I's just a BOIRD.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Down the road when the towing the travel trailer days are done I could see getting something smaller.

I like the Hemi power but driving a full size truck around the city and parking in stalls designed for a Mini Cooper are a PITA.

A 4 door Wrangler or similar SUV with a small utility trailer might be the ticket.

Daniel Sammons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a year ago I went from a crew cab ram 1500 to a crew cab Chevy Colorado. As of a month ago I am back in a crew cab ram 1500.

I really wanted to love the smaller truck, but the only thing better about it was parking it. The ram is much more comfortable, capable, and my kids much prefer the ram back seat. Hell, the gas mileage is almost the same too depending on how heavy my right foot feels on any particular day.

Lesson learned for me.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a 2008 F150 Lariat crew cab to a 2004 Ranger. Fuel consumption is better, Insurance is cheaper, but the ride comfort is nothing compared to that "Texas Cadillac".

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the couple of people I know that had a wrangler style jeep for daily driver complained about noisy, hotter, less comfy to drive. I had 3 grand cherokees in a row and they were great vehicles but I was very happy with the 1500 laramie I had.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Like mentioned before, it's all about how you intend to use it. If towing, then 1500. Need bed of truck, 1500. Age of vehicles, insurance cost and maybe yearly tax/tag price difference depending on what year you're looking at.

Met a couple recently at a gas station who was towing a small trailer with a Gladiator. I asked about how it towed, and how they liked it. I noticed it was sqatted down a bit. Guy said he just downsized his trailer to try and match his Gladiators towing specs and added air bags to rear to help. He wasn't happy and was planning on trading/selling Gladiator to go to an F150. I can't speak to trailer specs vs Gladiator, but it wasn't big by any means. Could he be over doing it? Possibly. But I would guess that if he took a couple steps to make it safe(r), researched some numbers or followed someone's advice to be safe with some upgrades that he's probably closer than some. And the trailer was small, like not sure how more than maybe 3 could sleep in it small. So was enough for me to not look towards a Gladiator in my future. And I just sold my Wrangler 1.5 weeks back.

Myself, I'm always going to have a truck. The one I have now for as long as possible. I tow a boat, need the truck bed from time to time, and we don't use as a daily driver but need it still enough to always have a truck in our family. You do you and i wish you the best with your decision.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just can't see paying more money for something less capable. My wife loves the Gladiator and as we now have a trailer for her art business we don't need the full bed space our Ram has. Priced one, considered trading... oh heck no. Jeep *really* likes those things, and for that price they can keep them. Economies of scale and fierce competition between domestic manufacturers mean you can generally always find a deal on a full-size truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500