What's the obsession with GEN 2 trucks??? Your thoughts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob2gen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar Magnum 360
Wow hope to open pandora's box here... so I will start (doing my best as my right arm is broken so 1-handed typing).

I've driven Gen 1-4 gas and Gen 2-3 Diesel, as an owner. I was 24-25 when Twister the movie came out. That '94 2500 with v10 was bad-ass. I was hooked but lived in Europe serving in the Army, so drove BMW and loved every minute of it.

Fast forward to early March 98... Fiancé is about to leave Germany (where we were stationed, Active Army, both SSG) to go to Drill Sergeant school in SC. We heard that there was a Dodge Ram to TEST DRIVE... We got in the 528i and an hour later got behind the wheel. Holy Smokes!!! 98 1500 SLT 2x4 CC SB. We took it on the Autobahn, and yes, i drove, with our two daughters in the back seat, ages 9 & 10. Cruised at 110 mph and it was such a smooth ride. I will never forget that experience.

About a year later, my first Dodge Ram was a White with Chrome steel wheels '98.5 12-valve Cummins SLT Reg cab 4x4 Auto 4.10 LSD (So had the newer interior, but the older drivetrain). Found it in the back of a lot at a dealership in Fayetteville, NC on 31 Mar 99 (I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg), and I wanted out of my 2WD. Had a $4000 rebate because it was a 12 valve (24v valve came out and that's what everyone wanted). I traded my 5-month-old 99 F250 Reg Cab 2WD V-10 SD 5spd man & w/19k miles on it. The rebate and small equity in new truck covered down payment.

Truck drove like a beast, with stock tires and 4.10 gearing. So, I named it, "Beast."

Same weekend, different State, my new bride pulls into a dealership after work and trades her 98 1500 ST 6cyl 2x4 SC SB for a new 99 Ruby Red with Driftwood 1500 SLT 4x4 QC SB. Boy, were we surprised once all the dust settled. She named it Ruby. So, the Beast and Ruby as daily drivers. Glad fuel was a lot cheaper back then.

So now you know my hook... what got me (and my wife) into Gen2.

Please share your story... im about 10 weeks to heal!