Throttle sticks ( Solved )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so here's the deal... I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9l (gas), I have replaced the tps, the aivc, and Checked for hangups on the pedal and the throttle cables. Nothing.

Now here's my problem... when I start the truck it idles fine, but when I push on the gas the rpm will rise, when I let off the gas the rpm steadily stays where it was at causing my truck to continue to attempt to accelerate, even when I put on the breaks. At first I was thinking it might be something to do with the throttle body needing cleaned buttt... here's the kicker, when the vehicle is off the throttle will open and close just fine with no hesitation. Leading me to think it is something electrical? Any input would be great as this is my daily driver and it's been putting me through hell. Also, it seems to do it more so when it's cold out

Bunyan75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would consider a vacuum leak somewhere possibly. Maybe the TB gasket perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jack317

Jack317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I was thinking but the vacuum level is always between 19-20.5. Which I believe is in the normal parameters?

As is the rpm sits at 614ish while idling, if I press the throttle and let off, it sits steadily at about 1500

OP
OP
Jack317

Jack317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Solved! After much digging... it was the cruise control servo. Disconnected it and all of my problems went away.. almost $200 later. But at least I have some new parts I won't have to worry about for awhile!

Bunyan75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome, thanks for the update! Now that you mentioned it, I vaguely remember having a similar problem with my 2000 Ram about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk