tonneau cover, driving me crazy trying to decide.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lite rider (made by access). Roll up style tonneau. Had one on my 08 with 0 issues so bought the same thing for my 16. I perfer the roll up vs the tri-fold. Main reason is I can have have the full use of my bed easily. If you have a tri-fold you have to take tonneau completely off. See this all the time at work with customers trucks. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trey Sledge

Trey Sledge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lite rider (made by access). Roll up style tonneau. Had one on my 08 with 0 issues so bought the same thing for my 16. I perfer the roll up vs the tri-fold. Main reason is I can have have the full use of my bed easily. If you have a tri-fold you have to take tonneau completely off. See this all the time at work with customers trucks. Just my .02

But don't you have rails down both sides? I'm worried about beating those up. How does it lock down?

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But don't you have rails down both sides? I'm worried about beating those up. How does it lock down?
Ya there is rails with the velcroon each side. Once its rolled out theres a slot the bar slides into and then just push down and it locks. Simple as can be.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
American tri-fold... super easy to install and remove. Works great and like half the cost of the other tri-fold. Got mine on real truck

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Truxedo ProX15 cover and really like it. It's low profile, doesn't cover the side rails, and stays fairly tight. Great roll up cover.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know op is looking for a $300ish range cover but usually they are cheap ones that cant take any weight on them and or tear easily......I looked into one that has a constant row of ribs from front to back that you can roll up..Strong enough to hold a 4 wheeler on top and locked..Here in canada it was around $1000.....I thought about a cheap one but figured as soon as snow fly it will weight down and tear or split the cover so not worth it..
Or just keep saveing and buy a used hard shell and repaint to taste..

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer the hard or solid tonneau covers over the soft covers.

I had an Extang Solid Tri Fold cover on my last truck, and I really liked it. The solid covers offer added security over the soft covers, and are just as easily opened or removed as needed, in minutes.

It really depends on how you use your truck bed - are you going to be folding the cover a lot, or removing it often? Another primary consideration is - do you care how it looks, specifically regarding whether the cover is low profile, on rails along the bed, or sits on top of the bed with a higher profile? (This attribute is quite a serious consideration for many)

If you just want to keep the sun and rain off your bed and cargo, a soft cover is budget friendly, and its easy to find many options under $200.00. Checkout forum sponsor Oedro, or Tyger covers on Amazon.

If the added security is something you would value, there are solid tri fold covers available in the $300-$400 range.

If I were looking for a solid hard sided tri fold cover, I would look hard at the Lomax and the Weathertech version of the same style super Low profile cover - both are regularly priced in the $850-$900 range.

I went with a hard fiberglass cover on my current truck, and for me, it is perfect for my needs.

Check out eBay, Amazon, and Realtruck for deals and sales - I got the Extang tri fold I mentioned above for $400, New & delivered, which was 1/2 off the normal $800 price tag.

What ever you look at - sales should be going on for Father’s Day coming up.

Last edited:

james.price.58

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Peragon as I needed something with more security than the soft covers. They're not $300 but also not $1000 (I paid just under $600 for mine with the tailgate seal after a couple of discounts). Not my Ram, but pic below:
Peragon.JPG

binford6100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have the Peragon as I needed something with more security than the soft covers. They're not $300 but also not $1000 (I paid just under $600 for mine with the tailgate seal after a couple of discounts). Not my Ram, but pic below:
View attachment 169527

I have the Peragon cover as well and can vouch for the quality. I chose it primarily for the security aspect as well as the ability to have nearly 100% access to the bed without having to remove the cover.

While not the least expensive, I felt it offered sufficient value and was worth the $800+ price tag.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
honestly I just wanted something relatively water tight and inexpensive. Bought this on amazon, about 2 years later, still works fine. pro's: cheap, works. Con's: Cheap, no dedicated handle, just a simple grab handle. Also love the fact that it rolls up out of the way, so can use my pickup bed in 10-15 seconds for its intended purpose. I had a $300 cover before, can't really see/feel the difference with this one for 170.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1JYPUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17crewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Extang rolling soft cover. I see their prices have gone up. GREAT costumer service....even after 9 years. Just before I traded my '08 off, the velcro on the sides of the rails were not holding. emailed them and in 4 days, I had free replacement velcro strips to slide on. I bought the exact same top for my '17.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Tyger Trifold