Tonneau cover or Cap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tguerr16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Big Horn
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8
Had a tonneau cover on the truck I just traded but it was a full size bed. Have a 2018 1500 short bed now and during hunting season I like to store hunting stuff in the bed.

My question is what are the pros/cons of covers compared to caps and if I went cap can they be taken off when I want to go get mulch or anything that needs to be dumped into the bed.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pros of caps:
- More dry/secure storage than is afforded by a tonneau

Cons of caps:
- Ugly (subjective)
- Heavy
- Restrictive cargo constraints
- Expensive

I've never seen a good reason to have a cap. If you do want to remove it, you're going to need a couple healthy friends.

I prefer a soft rollup tonneau. Quick and easy to get almost 100% out of the way any time you need. Sure it's not THAT secure, but if someone is willing to slice your tonneau open to get what's in there, they're willing to bust a window in a cap. Plus they're cheap.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pros of caps:
- More dry/secure storage than is afforded by a tonneau

Cons of caps:
- Ugly (subjective)
- Heavy
- Restrictive cargo constraints
- Expensive

I've never seen a good reason to have a cap. If you do want to remove it, you're going to need a couple healthy friends.

I prefer a soft rollup tonneau. Quick and easy to get almost 100% out of the way any time you need. Sure it's not THAT secure, but if someone is willing to slice your tonneau open to get what's in there, they're willing to bust a window in a cap. Plus they're cheap.

I think that ease of removal is what's key.

I have a gooseneck trailer so no cap for me. But as a first time tonneau buyer I needed to think how removal and accessibility.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped my hard shell for a folding tonneau so I could remove it more easily when I need to use the bed for tall or difficult loads.. now i'm putting the tonneau on and off just about every week and I miss having the shell for some intermediate sized cargo (bicycles, etc) .. and for using as a tent.

Just no perfect solution I guess :anitoof: I ordered one of those softoppers, but they're backordered like nuts right now apparently so it's anyone's guess when it will arrive.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
during hunting season I like to store hunting stuff in the bed.
A huge pro for having a topper during hunting season aside being able accessing your stuff while keeping it out of the elements, actually being able to see it.fd2eaea7e630857bb09ca9b87fa64fd2.jpg
I added these LED tape lights to the top of my Leer 100XL and it lights up the entire bed when out in the complete darkness while hunting. No more looking for something using flashlights, the factory cargo/bed lights leave much to be desired and dark spots. The topper also locks/unlocks with the tailgate.
There is four easy to remove clamps and a plug to pull the topper, it weighs under 200 lbs.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It really depends on how you use the bed. When I lived in snow country and hunted, there was no question about it. Topper was king. Plus opening and sealing tonneau covers kind of sucks with snow on them. But now that I live outside the snow belt and no longer hunt, a tonneau makes more sense. I do need the whole bed from time to time, so it's nice to be able to remove my hard rollup cover (Truxedo Sentry) by myself in less than 2 minutes.

You need to evaluate your needs and go with what works for you.

Richard3030

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 SLT Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just had very high winds remove my Undercover Flex trifold tonneau cover (it wasn't pretty). The tonneau was getting kinda old anyway and the tri-fold was always a pain. So now I'm looking for a cap for a white 2014 Ram 1500 SLT Crew 4x4, 6'4" bed thinking it might be more wind and rain resistant. Any recommendations for brands that would fit and look good. I'm north of Toronto, Canada and don't know where to begin to look. Also, is there much to installing a cap?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any recommendations for brands that would fit and look good. I'm north of Toronto, Canada and don't know where to begin to look. Also, is there much to installing a cap?
I'm happy with my LEER 100XL, sorta makes the truck look like a big SUV. Search on the internet for pictures as there's many styles to choose from and check with shops that sell caps as they usually handle used ones also.
As for installation couple of peoples and it just clamps to the bed rails. I have a power lock, lights and third brake light on mine, all of the wiring for those can be found right under the truck going to the tailgate and 7pin trailer plug.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have the factory tonneau cover. I had a cap many years ago. Back then I did not tow with a 5th wheel, gooseneck, nor the truck camper. If you can leave it on the cap is nice for lots of storage. I can't so tonneau cover for me.

Elvira

Reaction score
I just ordered a Leer 100 xl with a few options. I have had the tonneau cover quite some time and also on previous trucks. I wish to use my cap for the odd weekend getaway, so having it could be handy. Lots of you tube videos on people removing and installing by themselves with different setups. I will no doubt do similar with a ceiling lift in garage. I do like the look of a cap too, like someone mentioned, an suv style look.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suppose it all depends on your requirements/preference and the area where you live. I've used a cap on several trucks in the past and was quite dissatisfied with the reduced visibility at night or during heavy snow.

Most of the tonneau covers I tried provided almost zero security except for some of the tri-fold types and they were often a PITA during the winter or while partially open.

On my last two trucks over the past 15 years, I've used a Roll N Lock type M cover. It provides superior security and the convenience of locking closed or partially opened. While using my truck for moving furniture or firewood, it rolls completely open.

When driving 20+ hours to North Florida for Cave diving, I never had any worries about security transporting or leaving my truck parked with lots of expensive gear locked in the box.

If you require lots of space and are willing to compromise on visibility, tough to beat a cap.
If security and visibility are a priority, a Roll N Lock cover could be your best solution.

YMMV

:cool:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Occasionally I do tow the 5th wheel, and I have a winch in the garage that I used to take the Jeep top off. But ultimately went with the Linex-X eclipse(IIRC) hard roll up. It's pretty secure, rolls up and has a cloth look.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a hard tonneau cover,
plus - secure, dry, no one ever asks me to move or retrieve furniture or rocks, etc.
minus - I can't get a load of rocks, limits bags of mulch, limits very large furniture loading.

Over all very happy with the plus/minus battle. lol

Elvira

Reaction score
I have a hard tonneau cover,
plus - secure, dry, no one ever asks me to move or retrieve furniture or rocks, etc.
minus - I can't get a load of rocks, limits bags of mulch, limits very large furniture loading.

Over all very happy with the plus/minus battle. lol
The hard covers are great for sure, i am switching to a cap mostly for a change. Hopefully some camping in it too.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are pretty versatile and caps overall aren't heavy or hard to take on and off.
It's probably the visibility while driving that would take the most to get used to for me. I wish someone could make one that could come up to a full cap when stopped but be low like a tonneau :)
Sort of like a hi/lo camper.