Torque Converter: P2761 Code w/ Malfunction Indicator Light (CEL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Fischer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6 6.7L
First post, guys. New (leftover) 2019 RAM 2500 4WD diesel with 6500 miles. Not a complaint, problem resolved (I think), but wanted to post for general info and possible discussion. This happened two nights ago coming home from a hunting trip at night:

Averaging about 45-50mph on a paved back road. Engaged cruise control and either accidentally or unconsciously selected 4th gear on the maximum gear switch, just below the cruise control on steering wheel. Did not notice any whining or transmission jerking due to my relatively low speed.

I get into town and accelerate hard, probably too hard, to merge with left hand traffic on thruway. Instant CEL (steady, non flashing) and truck shook a bit and seemed "a little off". I pulled over, put it in park, shut down, and restarted. Still did not notice I was in 4th gear max, but I did notice my gas mileage went from an average of 20.1 mpg to about 13 between where it happened and my driveway (about 17 miles). Next morning, I notice the the gear select, de-select it (normal) and take to my dealer. They kept it a day. Reset P2761 code, and could not duplicate during test drive and it ran perfect. When I spoke with service tech I explained what I think happened, he agreed. I have the truck back and ran all day; no issues whatsoever (so far). Here's what I think happened: I was telling my truck to remain in a mid-range gear but got into the gas hard, wanting to accelerate. The sensor tripped the CEL because the torque converter disagreed with my inputs (mid range gear... fast acceleration at 55-60 mph).

Agree? I'm not a mechanic, but it makes sense. Although I have driven trucks my whole life, this is my first diesel. Again, just bringing it up for discussion. This was a lesson learned for me. Thanks for hearing me out...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat