Torque converter/ transmission going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, I adjusted the rear band. Couldn't do the front with the tools I have, not enough room to get a wrench in there, so I let it go. Filled it up, cycled it a few times and topped it off before test driving. Drove it and had to add a little bit more.

Took it down the road again, everything seemed good, accelerated up to about 45, no issues that I could hear or feel but the CEL popped on. Thoughts?

I'm going to have to borrow my buddies scan tool tomorrow to see what the code is.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Figures, he forgot to bring it. Any way I can get the code without a reader?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Most likely not... you could try the key trick but it depends on the year of vehicle...

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Ok, finally borrowed a code reader. Got P0132, O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1) code. Going to climb under and see if the wire is damaged. Guess I'll be buying an O2 sensor once I get some extra cash.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
99's use a 46re tranny right? If so I have the torque specs for the front band. You'll have to disconnect the shift linkage to get at the adjuster lock nut and socket. So you'll want to have good emergency brakes and blocked wheels. Safety 1st!

I eliminated my check valve with a couple of brass fittings, two hose clamps and a piece of tranny cooler hose.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
99's use a 46re tranny right? If so I have the torque specs for the front band. You'll have to disconnect the shift linkage to get at the adjuster lock nut and socket. So you'll want to have good emergency brakes and blocked wheels. Safety 1st!

I eliminated my check valve with a couple of brass fittings, two hose clamps and a piece of tranny cooler hose.

Yes, I have the 46re. I wasn't sure if I needed to adjust the front and since I couldn't get a wrench on the lock nut I left it alone for now.

I'll have to take a closer look at the check valve and see what I can put together.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, my father in law suggested cleaning the IAC. Guess I'll do that and see if it helps.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i changed my shift solenoid and havent had a problem since, in a few weeks ima change my torque converter just to be safe lol

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
It's weird, the other day it did it when I was at a light, the RPM's dropped and it sounded like it might stall, I shifted it into neutral and it went away. I kind wish it would just throw a code and tell me what's wrong.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
It's weird, the other day it did it when I was at a light, the RPM's dropped and it sounded like it might stall, I shifted it into neutral and it went away. I kind wish it would just throw a code and tell me what's wrong.

Me too!

BTW...here's the pics of my check valve delete.

The frst is where the line comes out of the tranny. Its a inv flare to pipe, then pipe to hose barb.

5606-tl5.jpg

The other end is a barb/inv flare to inv flare dbl female, then I had to use a piece of hard brake line to the trans guage Tee.

5605-tl3.jpg

I don't rmember how my OEM line looked but you may be able to use a compression fitting to pipe and then a pipe to hose barb.

Last edited: