Torque converter/ transmission going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, for the past week, maybe 2, my trucks been acting up. It only does it for the first 5 minutes or so of driving and it doesn't do it every time. I can feel the loss of power in the pedal and when I try to accelerate nothing happens. The RPM's stay where they are or drop slightly and I hear a popping sound, the whole truck jerks back and forth until I let off of the pedal.

To avoid the popping and jerking I let off the pedal and then get back on it a couple of times and it will eventually stop and the truck will drive normal the rest of my trip.

I installed new plugs, wires, coil, and cap and rotor when I installed the Hughes kit a couple months ago and haven't had any problems til now. I did look down into the intake to make sure it wasn't leaking and saw nothing. I changed my oil yesterday and noticed transmission fluid on the back of the oil pan, bell housing, and bottom of the transmission. I checked all the bolts on the pan and none were loose.

Sorry for the long post, just stumped right now.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
How many miles on the truck ?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Did you check the transmission dip stick? Is there still oil in it or did it all drip out? When's the last time it was maintenanced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
110,*** miles. Fluids still within the marks. I've only owned the truck since February. Trying to get all the maintenance done since it appears that the previous owner didn't take good care of it. Unfortunately I don't have money to get done everything done that needs to be done.

I was planning on changing the transmission fluid and filter but I haven't had the cash. Also, worried that once I do it will start slipping.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Sounds like the problem is within the transmission. Sound like you could try check the band adjustments... But I'm more interested in if there any debris in the bottom of the trans pan.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
^That's what I'm afraid of. I don't have the money to do anything right now. Hoping to sell some stuff soon and I guess that's next on the to-do list.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
^That's what I'm afraid of. I don't have the money to do anything right now. Hoping to sell some stuff soon and I guess that's next on the to-do list.

Lets put it this way fixing it now will be much cheaper than having the trans completely fail and tear things up...

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Lets put it this way fixing it now will be much cheaper than having the trans completely fail and tear things up...

I completely agree, just need to figure out cost and how I'm going to pay.

I guess I'm going to drop the pan and adjust the bands. Anybody know how easy it is to adjust the bands? Would flushing it clean it out better then just dropping the pan and replacing the fluid?

It kind of seems like it only acts up until it gets warmed up.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're gonna hear a lot of different opinions on doing a flush vs a fluid and filter exchange. I would only do a flush (where they put a chemical through the trans to clean it) if I was certain the trans was maintained from the get go and had consistent flushes performed. Otherwise, the general consensus is the chemical used to flush it clean, loosens stuff up and opens the tolerances in the transmission, resulting in total transmission failure soon after.

I would do a filter and fluid swap and clean out your pan real good. How dark is your current trans fluid? To help save you some $$$, don't buy the name brand ATF+4...get the Advance Auto Parts ATF+4...it is bought from Ashland (AKA Valvoline) in bulk by Advance auto Parts and packaged into Advance labeled bottles by Advance Auto Parts contract packagers.

Do you still have the check ball valve on the trans line from the radiator?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you do anything special to clean it?

When mine was acting up, I simply had the trans replaced and didn't bother having my existing trans messed with after they inspected it. There's a trans shop about 50 miles from me that has pre-rebuilt transmissions in stock for popular rebuilds. I paid $1200 for the transmission and install with a lifetime warranty, with an after market trans cooler and 3 freeze plug replacements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Do you still have the check ball valve on the trans line from the radiator?

I have no idea. How would I check that?

I've got a transmission shop a few minutes down the street from me. Thought about stopping in and talking to them. Will probably do that this week since I'm kind of afraid to drive it. Don't want to destroy the whole thing.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a pic of the inline check ball valve in my photobucket...Ill post it.

EDIT: here is the check ball valve...you can delete this valve, it gunks up and causes problems...my trans guy wouldn't even warranty my new trans unless I got rid of the valve. So I had him run all new lines from the trans cooler and trans when he did mine.

CheckValveDeletePic1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
That looks familiar. I'll be deleting that asap. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what my options are. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Lets say a few fluid and filter changes are much cheaper...

But I would at least open it up and see what you got. Might be simple and it might not. But I'm trying to stay positive and look for little things first before painting all the doom and gloom.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
How easy is it to delete the check valve? Do I need to buy a couple of fittings and hose and cut out that section?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Ok, well dropped the pan, no debris. Fluids dark so it's a good thing I'm changing it. Thought about doing the band adjustment but I don't want to screw it up and it's dark now. I know I need an in/lb torque wrench and a square head socket.

Anyone have some advice on adjusting the bands? I want to make sure I have everything I need before I start.

Think I should add Lucas trans fix just to be safe?

Last edited:

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Ok, well dropped the pan, no debris. Fluids dark so it's a good thing I'm changing it. Thought about doing the band adjustment but I don't want to screw it up and it's dark now. I know I need an in/lb torque wrench and a square head socket.

Anyone have some advice on adjusting the bands? I want to make sure I have everything I need before I start.

Think I should add Lucas trans fix just to be safe?

Call up a local trans shop and tell him the specs of your truck and then he'll tell you how much to torque it down to and then how many turns to back off.

I don't believe in fix in a bottle. (Snake oil)