Tow/Haul feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LifeofRiley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7L. I pull a Forest River Rockwood mini-lite 2506S. It's about 5500 lbs. When I put my truck in Tow/Haul mode it periodically makes a sort of "snore" sound. Anyone else experience this? Or anyone think it shouldn't be making this sound and what could be wrong, if something is wrong with the truck.?

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
When does it make the noise? Are you climbing, decending, accelerating, decelerating, etc? Or is it completely random? If it's completely random it could be your cooling fan, if it's under a particular condition you MAY have something else going on.

However, this is the 5th gen set of forums. If you go a bit further down on the main forum page, you'll find 4th gen trucks, which I believe is what you fall under. There's a lot of people here who used to have 4th gen trucks, but you'll probably find more information on your truck in particular down there.

zrock

Reaction score
I don't use tow/haul unless i need to pulling a hill or something.. Flat land driving it really makes no difference especially with a lite trailer like yo are hauling.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't use tow/haul unless i need to pulling a hill or something.. Flat land driving it really makes no difference especially with a lite trailer like yo are hauling.
Normally, I would agree but 5500# for that truck is not "light weight". It's actually pushing mid-range in towing capability, no matter what the tow charts say. Still shouldn't be having issues, but at that weight you know it's back there.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of good information in the 4th grn section, highly recommend you take a look through there.

Your noise could be a number of things. Could be normal or a problem. Some additional information would be helpful.

What is the full set up on your truck? 2wd or 4, crew cab or other, bed length, any modifications like a lift, bigger tires, etc? What gearing do you have, all the details. Are you original owner and have you noticed problem before? Do you get sounds leaving truck t/h mode off? Does it change if you turn off air/heat system while towing?

How heavy exactly is your trailer, and how much weight do you have in truck when towing, exactly. You could be over your capacity to tow and the sounds are your truck working hard. Don't go by guess, get your weights and then your exact configuration will help others be more aware as the offer ideas.

As much information as you can provide will make responses that much more helpful. Good luck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only time I've heard my 6.4 do that "snore" sound is when it enters MDS mode - or whatever the term is. It's when your engine drops into 4-cylinder mode. I think I found a way around that.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7