Brake Hold / Auto Brake Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This is a feature that is just a simple button that you push and the truck will automatically “hold” the brakes when you come to a stop. You could be at a red light or stop sign and once you stop the truck will continue to hold the brakes as you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

I first experienced this feature on a 2018 Acura and later on a 2022 Acura. So its not a new option and has been around for a while on different vehicles and manufactures. It is a great feature and if you drive a vehicle without it after driving one with it you really miss it!

I have not been involved with Ram since my last one in 2005., I am assuming that none of the Ram trucks have this feature. I am unable to tell if the new 2025 Ram will have it. I am hoping they saw fit to add it to the rest of the tech already included i the new Ram. I will point out that Ford added it to their trucks in 2021. Wonder why Ram didn’t add it at some point.

Anyone here have experience with the brake hold or sometimes called Auto Brake? It’s a small thing and usually not listed as an option. It just comes included in some packages like so many options end up on a vehicle.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
This is a feature that is just a simple button that you push and the truck will automatically “hold” the brakes when you come to a stop. You could be at a red light or stop sign and once you stop the truck will continue to hold the brakes as you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

I first experienced this feature on a 2018 Acura and later on a 2022 Acura. So its not a new option and has been around for a while on different vehicles and manufactures. It is a great feature and if you drive a vehicle without it after driving one with it you really miss it!

I have not been involved with Ram since my last one in 2005., I am assuming that none of the Ram trucks have this feature. I am unable to tell if the new 2025 Ram will have it. I am hoping they saw fit to add it to the rest of the tech already included i the new Ram. I will point out that Ford added it to their trucks in 2021. Wonder why Ram didn’t add it at some point.

Anyone here have experience with the brake hold or sometimes called Auto Brake? It’s a small thing and usually not listed as an option. It just comes included in some packages like so many options end up on a vehicle.
On Ram trucks it’s called “Hill Assist”. It will hold the brakes to keep the truck from rolling backwards when at a stop on an incline.

OP
OP
M

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
On Ram trucks it’s called “Hill Assist”. It will hold the brakes to keep the truck from rolling backwards when at a stop on an incline.

Yes I know about hill assist. It’s on every 4x4 truck I ever owned. Not sure how it works because I have never been a off roader. I will give it a try on my 2020 F150SE just to see how it works.

I have a feeling, if it works, you would have to push the button every time you stop. A true brake hold/auto brake works in one of two ways depending on the type of vehicle. It’s either a setting in the driver information center (DIC) that you can select and it will always be on. The other way is to push the button at the beginning or any time during your drive. The system will stay on until the vehicle is shut down.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With my 2016 Ram 1500 & possibly my old 2009 Dodge Ram

If you are on an Incline & there is a RED Traffic Light, the driver can apply harder pressure to the brake pedal while coming to a Stop.
When the Red Light changes, you can let up on the Brake Pedal & not rush to catch the truck from rolling back by applying the Go Pedal.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
In a 2024, ive noticed it being triggered a few times by mistake, but never on a hill. Twice in flat parking lots. It's pretty confusing until you finally see the red indicator down near your left knee.

Obviously this function does malfunction.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My Mercedes had that. At a stop you just press the brake extra hard and it holds the brakes until you press the brake pedal again or the gas. I thought it was dumb at first but I found myself using it more and more until it became second-nature. That said, my Ram obviously doesn't have it but I don't really miss it TBH.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, the trucks do have it, not as a button but it just automatically does it. But you have to be on an uphill incline.
My Hill Assist does it both facing uphill and downhill. I take my foot off the brake and it will sit there forever until I apply the gas.

Last edited:

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Brake Hold on my 19 Laramie Longhorn. I have it via the Tazer DT and it works the same way it did in my 19 RDX before I traded it for the truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think some ppl have the wrong idea about when the Hill Hold Assist is used.

You don't release the brake pedal, until the traffic signal turns Green & you are ready to go through the intersection

OP
OP
M

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have Brake Hold on my 19 Laramie Longhorn. I have it via the Tazer DT and it works the same way it did in my 19 RDX before I traded it for the truck.

What is Tazer DT?

OP
OP
M

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Here is the link. I got mine off of eBay so it was a little cheaper. It has a lot of other features also you might like or want to turn on.

Thank you sir, I have a bit of a wait. Mine won’t likely be built anytime soon. Hoping to have it before 2025. Just too many variables in todays world.

YammyMonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi
That feature is available in the settings for the little Hornet I have. I tried it out, but I really dislike how it locks the car in place. If I take my foot off the brake, I want the car to start slow rolling forward (in drive) or backward (in reverse) a bit. It's not like starting on a hill is difficult. 2 pedals, 2 feet.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You would not want to live around San Diego

We are inundated with South Americans, who never owned a vehicle or learned how to drive, before they jumped the Border Fence.
Then we have Iraqis, Afganies, & every other middle eastern countries refugees, our gov't bought them cars, paid for their way of life & none of them ever had anything but a bicycle before now.
With an Automatic transmission, they roll backwards when they are in Drive & then the argue with the person they backed into, the police take their side, almost every time.
They are schooled on how to reply to questions, lawyers are on Speed Dial.

goatmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 19 Laramie does not have the Auto-hold feature my wife’s 2021 Santa Fe has.

When I’m stopped at stop light I reach down and apply the parking brake. When the light turns green , i just tap the accelerator and the parking brake releases and i drive away.

I’ve also just put the truck in park at a red light and roll the switch to drive, again after the light turns green and drive off.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 19 Laramie does not have the Auto-hold feature my wife’s 2021 Santa Fe has.

When I’m stopped at stop light I reach down and apply the parking brake. When the light turns green , i just tap the accelerator and the parking brake releases and i drive away.

I’ve also just put the truck in park at a red light and roll the switch to drive, again after the light turns green and drive off.
Your 2019 Ram has hill start assist, when you stop at a light or any other reason on an incline once stopped you can remove your foot from the brake pedal and the truck will not roll backwards to move forward again all you do is press down on the accelerator and go. This is nothing new my 2019 Ram Laramie has it as does my wife's grand cherokee. I had a 2011 and 2013 Chrysler 300 C and they had the same feature. Chrysler, Dodge , Jeep and Ram all have this feature and it has been around a number of years.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hill assist works great in my opinion. Had it in all my Rams . On my 2016 3500 it would even hold the truck with a 15000 pound 5th wheel . This feature can be turn on and off in the vehicle settings in the Uconnect system.

goatmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your 2019 Ram has hill start assist, when you stop at a light or any other reason on an incline once stopped you can remove your foot from the brake pedal and the truck will not roll backwards to move forward again all you do is press down on the accelerator and go. This is nothing new my 2019 Ram Laramie has it as does my wife's grand cherokee. I had a 2011 and 2013 Chrysler 300 C and they had the same feature. Chrysler, Dodge , Jeep and Ram all have this feature and it has been around a number of years.
i am aware that my truck has the hill start assist, there may be 4 hills that the hill start assist may activate in my area. i use the parking brake as my stop and go hold at stop lights.
thanks for your reply

Last edited: