Tow package wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I have a 2006 ram 2500 Power wagon with the 7 and 4 pin trailer hookups. I hooked a trailer up for the first time today and found that both my passenger side trailer brake light and vehicle brake light would illuminate without the brakes being touched. When I unplug the trailer my vehicle returns to normal and the brake light works properly. This happens with both the 7 pin and 4 pin connections. I am certain that the trailer has no issue as I tested on another vehicle and all was fine.

I believe the issue is that the green wire (right turn) on the vehicle side trailer harness has been connected improperly to the main wire harness somehow. I do not know what wire color I should be checking on the main vehicle harness for passenger(right side) brake and indicator lights. I have looked online for schematics but I have a hard time finding or understanding them

What I'm wanting is a list of what wire color does what, such as white/light green=reverse, white/drk green=??, etc

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

OP
OP
Krawfish

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it a step further and connected a cheap little 4 pin light tester to see if I could gather anything from it. Right and left indicator work properly, running lights work properly, but brake lights only the left light illuminates (on the tester).

20190928_150454.jpg

OP
OP
Krawfish

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well in case anyone was wondering...Turns out your totally integrated power module can cause alot of problems :( getting a used one right now as they are no longer manufactured and are quite expensive. Tech says I actually had a couple of other problems related to my headlights as well caused my the tipm. Will update when part is replaced.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would try un-plugging the harness that is behind the bumper and give it a good cleaning. I have seen these get "funky" and cause problems. Spray them out with electrical contact cleaner, and wire brush if you have one that fits. After a good cleaning, add some dielectric grease and plug them back together. If it isn't the problem, you will have prevented an issue down the road.
Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Krawfish

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replacing TIPMs fixed my issue, however I now have a serv 4wd light :( traded one problem for another I supppose.