Towing speeds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 5th wheel has "L" speed rated tires and that translate to 75mph max speed. I normally travel around 62 on the interstate and have gone upper 60's when the road is flat and not clogged up with traffic.
When I go over 60 the gas mileage drops a mile or two. On a long trip you can save on gas by going slower, but since I am not yet retired my trips are shorter and once in a while I put the hammer down to get back home.
The ST and LT tire argument is one that I want no part of. A long time ago I read several blogs and what stuck with me was that some Luxury 5th wheels were coming with truck tires, not trailer tires, and DRV has that posted on their website. They have tandem and triple axle units...

DodgeDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Tires on my 5er are rated for 75mph, but I rarely pass 68mph while towing. Too many forget that you may have to stop something moving that fast..... and that's where they get into trouble. I guess ignorance is bliss!

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know anything about towing but I do know what I saw on I-90 E just before the Amsterdam NY exit 3 weeks ago. Someone in-front of me was towing a brand new looking 5th wheel when the 2 left side trailer tires exploded blowing rubber, insulation, wood and siding all over the road (the trailer side was a mess behind the wheels). I was directly behind driving a 26' Penske pulling a car trailer. I straddled the 2 lanes to block traffic as the driver got it under control and pulled to the shoulder. Were both doing 70 and it could have been a catastrophic event had someone been along side and the driver hadn't been able to control the trailer. Was it new looking with stale tires, don't know? Just some scary ****!!!

Ron Goldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not how fast can you pull your trailer, but rather hoe fast can you stop it. I pull 6700# with 2017 ram 1500 w/5.7 hemi, 3:92 diff and 8 sp. top speed is 62, usually about 60. Believe me, that's fast enough!

Gene gleason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
The new rev all come equipped with tires called CHINA BOMBS. It not a matter of when they will blow out but where. People towing these trailers going 80 mph with these tires gotta be crazy.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you read the travel trailer forums, everyone there swears they never go above 65MPH... many say under that even... I sure do not see that on the road though...

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Guess you haven’t seen me go flying by on the 90 going snowmobiling [emoji23]
accbf6ce40488b71884a3fe818d6a36c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
I have to work for my fuel never mind the safety risks

Carrbucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep it at 65 or under..... However, my wife,who does most of the driving, only has two speeds. Off or on. The tires on our 5th wheel are rated for 75 miles per hour.
I'm always telling her to watch her speed.

traveler15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
towing our trailer we stay between 55 and 58 mph,,,we are older with slower reflexes and that speed gets us where we are going ...
we haul a 8000 lb trailer with a 2019 1500 Quad 5.7 hemi with Cooper AT3 LT tires..i have had rv's go by me probably doing over the speed and swaying back and forth,,,accident waiting to happen

Brett Knudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use a TST tire pressure monitoring system. Monitors pressure and temp of the four wheels on my TT. If the temp deviates up or air pressure deviates down, it will warn me. Nice having that peace of mind even though I tow at a maximum of 65 mph.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
I was towing an #8000 with a 1500, then moved up to a 3500 Cummins 8v bed and can see how people easily will spotted I keep mine between 58-62, that's a sweet spot and get 12-13 mpg. Not bad mpg, feels safe with that load, and just take my time. These new trucks with all this power gives many people over-confidence in their driving abilities and the vehicle's capabilities.

Ronnie Broadway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove a semi for a living and I can guarantee to you that the slower you drive the better your chances are at making it to your destination ALIVE! I've seen more than my share of camp trailer accidents and death on the road due to excessive speeding to make you cry.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Anything over 45 mph is just unsafe and you are a moron for towing over this speed. :emotions33:

Tartmonkey22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion its all about ego. You get the guys with the big lifted trucks and big tires, ones Rollin coal just to show off, towing big trailers. I see it every day on the freeway. What boggles my mind are the guys with gooseneck trailers with heavy equipment on them going that speed. Coincidently it seems those are also the same idiots I see in the winter blowing down the freeway during a snow storm because they have a 4x4 so they "know what their doing". God i laugh so hard when I see them in the barrow pit a few miles up after they have slid off the road.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone questioned the ST vrese LT tire on trailers:
ST have stiffer sidewall for decreased flex (resist trailer sway), larger steel wire, and resist rolling under the rim while turning (i.e.tandem and greater axle trailer)
https://www.fateunbound.com/trailer-tires-vs-light-truck-tires/
"Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company stated, “The major difference is reflected in the polyester cords used in ST tires. These cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable P or LT tire. Typically, the steel wire also has a larger diameter or greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements. Because of the heavier construction for an equal volume of air space, an ST tire is designated to carry more load than a P or LT tire.”"
"T tires are designed for a limited amount of rolling resistance"
https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

The tires on the new 5th wheel, where most likely under inflate from sitting in a lot. Air pressure is the most important part of a trailer tire as an under inflated tire heats up faster, will lead to a blow out quicker then a properly inflated tire, particularly when running at speeds well above recommended tire speed. If you think about it they say to increase air pressure if running ST at higher speed as this decreases rolling resistance and allows the tire to run cooler at that speed....Resistance causes heat, heat increase molecular activity in the tire compound and the air in the tire and can result in uncontrolled increase in air pressure. Somethings go to give and metal does not give as easy as rubber.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Man, all this time I thought the reason why I do 65-75 when I tow was because I wanted to get somewhere quicker. Turns out it is because of my ego. Who'da thunk it.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on what I am towing, if I’m towing the skid steer about 65. If I’m towing something smaller like a car about 65-70. Here in the great state of NJ, ppl suck at driving. Can’t baby the gas cause you get ran off the road and cut off otherwise.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
55 mph. Get your **** collected. Enjoy the view. Save a lot on fuel.Leave a day early.