TPMS Sensor's (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Just posting my recent experience with this subject.

Background

2011 Ram Sport 1500 Crewcab, 4x4 hemi, 3.55 gears

Purchased new wheels and tires with TPMS sensors installed from Custom Offsets.

Custom Offsets did exactly what they were paid for and sold me a great product that is 100% better than what I had with the stock chrome clads and Crapyear SRAs. TPMS sensors installed worked, were correct sensors 433mhz but were very temperamental.

Problem

Every 3 or 4 days, or if I crossed railroad tracks or went by any RF transmitter or washed the truck low tire pressure light would illuminate and I would need to turn light off with AlfaObd.

Research

Did massive amounts of research on issue. Read tons of forum pages, talked to 3 separate dealers, 2 tire shops and called ram directly. Even called the railroad.

No one could definitely say what could cause issue because if I stayed away from railroad tracks and RF transmitters no low tire light.

Finally, sent an email to DOT about railroad crossing signals and got a response back that indicated they operated on various methods but ground sensors were in the 433 MHz range.

Now I don't have a large knowledge of how these things work but ground sensors have been a problem I've encountered before on my motorcycle at red lights.

Solution

Despite me not wanting to spend the $$, I took the time to identify the exact sensors Custom Offsets installed in tires. Had to take one tire off wheel uninstall sensor and run down manufacturer info.

Last, after about a week of this research, concluded that the difference in the aftermarket sensors and Mopar OEM sensors was enough that I needed to replace all sensors to eliminate this as the fault point.

Ordered OEM sensors at $62.50 per sensor. OUCH.

Installed new sensors in wheels. For another $148 with tax.

So for $400 plus dollars to address this issue, the outcome?

No more light, senors register accurate, railroad tracks no longer a concern. Light has been off 3 weeks or 3 k miles..

Summary

If I could go back in time, I would have still purchased tires and wheels, I just would have not had them mounted and balanced and would have installed OEM sensors from the beginning.

As it is, I've unmounted the tires once, 1 tire x2.

Bought sensors x 2

And been frustrated for about 10 k miles.

However I will say, these Cooper AT3s are awesome and are one of the smoothest tires I've ever had on a vehicle.

Thanks for allowing me to share. I hope this will help someone.

PS. My truck is a high maintenance PMS ***** that wants what she wants.

Give it to her, or listen to her complain until she gets her way

Last edited: