Track questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've been going to the track lately and my times are any where from 9.2- 9.5 on the 1/8 mile track at Irwindale speedway in SoCal.
what are some things I can do to make my time more consistent?
my truck is bone stock 5.7 , 8 speed rcsb.
So far all I'm doing is burning out then turning traction control back on and leaving on the 3 yellow light.
My Reaction times are getting better today I got a .023 but I want to get more consistent time over all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xge1XY0K6Tk
Here a video of me beating a 5.3 Chevy :flipthebird: tonight lol

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't worry about your reaction time. That doesn't matter whatsoever unless you are bracket racing. More consistent times will be how deep or shallow you stage the truck and trying to hook every time. The truck will do the rest. This is a pretty oversimplified explanation but is exactly what's needed to get what you want.

Nice work on that Chebby!

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to deep stage every time also running stock tire with stock air pressures at 40psi

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Deep staging is more for cutting a light. heres why/how:
If a racer is leaving on the third yellow and he can't get a decent reaction time, but he is consistant he might go deep to change his ROLLOUT
Rollout is the time it takes from when the truck starts moving until the second bulb is cleared buy the tires. So if you move the truck closer you will shorten the rolllout.
Now rollout is also the reason we leave on the third yellow. lites are .250 apart.
so say your truck rollout is .410 ( which is probably pretty close for a stock or near stock 5.7 ram.) and you leave the instant you see the third amber, well you might get a .160 lite consistantly. so after playing with tire PSI, pumpin up the fronts abunch, etc. making sure your times are consistnt, you MIGHT want to try going deep, IF you were Bracket racing.
Remember in bracket racing its about being consistant and nailing your dial in, vice chasing and ET or MPH.

But your just trying ot go faster:

To get the best ET /MPH you can you want to stage as shallow as you can.

WHY, you ask...

Because by doing so your making a run at the start beams, your moving say 5 mph when you break the timestart beam vice say 2 mph if you start deep, because you are farther away.
People think they are shorting the track when they go deep, they are not. They are shorting the time it takes to start the clock for the run, therby getting a quicker R/T, and slowing thier initial ( starting) speed and ET will be slower.

think of this way, would you rather start a race at 2 mph or 5 mph?

Also our truck tires diameter is pretty big. Go look at your front tires and measure up where the beams are ( Im not sure around 3" I think ) from your local track and measure the distance accross the tire at 3". Thats the length of tire that has to CLEAR the second beam before your time starts. ( rollout). You have to break the ( second staging ) beam ot be staged, and your ET starts when your front tire(s) clear the lite and the beam is complte again.

focus on staging and the third amber and youll be consistant
Adust your tires PSIs and get the best 60 foot you can and the truck will perform.

GL hope this helps

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Deep staging is more for cutting a light. heres why/how:
If a racer is leaving on the third yellow and he can't get a decent reaction time, but he is consistant he might go deep to change his ROLLOUT
Rollout is the time it takes from when the truck starts moving until the second bulb is cleared buy the tires. So if you move the truck closer you will shorten the rolllout.
Now rollout is also the reason we leave on the third yellow. lites are .250 apart.
so say your truck rollout is .410 ( which is probably pretty close for a stock or near stock 5.7 ram.) and you leave the instant you see the third amber, well you might get a .160 lite consistantly. so after playing with tire PSI, pumpin up the fronts abunch, etc. making sure your times are consistnt, you MIGHT want to try going deep, IF you were Bracket racing.
Remember in bracket racing its about being consistant and nailing your dial in, vice chasing and ET or MPH.

But your just trying ot go faster:

To get the best ET /MPH you can you want to stage as shallow as you can.

WHY, you ask...

Because by doing so your making a run at the start beams, your moving say 5 mph when you break the timestart beam vice say 2 mph if you start deep, because you are farther away.
People think they are shorting the track when they go deep, they are not. They are shorting the time it takes to start the clock for the run, therby getting a quicker R/T, and slowing thier initial ( starting) speed and ET will be slower.

think of this way, would you rather start a race at 2 mph or 5 mph?

Also our truck tires diameter is pretty big. Go look at your front tires and measure up where the beams are ( Im not sure around 3" I think ) from your local track and measure the distance accross the tire at 3". Thats the length of tire that has to CLEAR the second beam before your time starts. ( rollout). You have to break the ( second staging ) beam ot be staged, and your ET starts when your front tire(s) clear the lite and the beam is complte again.

focus on staging and the third amber and youll be consistant
Adust your tires PSIs and get the best 60 foot you can and the truck will perform.

GL hope this helps

This guy knows his stuff. Couldn't have said it any better myself :waytogo:

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've been going to the track lately and my times are any where from 9.2- 9.5 on the 1/8 mile track at Irwindale speedway in SoCal.
what are some things I can do to make my time more consistent?
my truck is bone stock 5.7 , 8 speed rcsb.
So far all I'm doing is burning out then turning traction control back on and leaving on the 3 yellow light.
My Reaction times are getting better today I got a .023 but I want to get more consistent time over all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xge1XY0K6Tk
Here a video of me beating a 5.3 Chevy :flipthebird: tonight lol

You always go to run at the Irwindale track right?
I haven't raced there, but I got an 8.8 at the track in Fontana.
I would say the best thing that made my truck faster is the tuner with the Hemifever tune stacked up with a 180 stat and the fan clutch removed.
:3681700201_eef6d1e2

OP
OP
M

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You always go to run at the Irwindale track right?
I haven't raced there, but I got an 8.8 at the track in Fontana.
I would say the best thing that made my truck faster is the tuner with the Hemifever tune stacked up with a 180 stat and the fan clutch removed.
:3681700201_eef6d1e2

Been going often went last 2 weeks in a roll. I want to go to Fontana but haven't made it yet I'm starting to get the wanting to go fast bug. It's kinda boring running the same time. My first upgrade is going to be tune.
Where r u located at? Do u go often?

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been going often went last 2 weeks in a roll. I want to go to Fontana but haven't made it yet I'm starting to get the wanting to go fast bug. It's kinda boring running the same time. My first upgrade is going to be tune.
Where r u located at? Do u go often?

I am right here in la puente.
Kinda by the Kaiser hospital.

I have never raced at irwindale but I do go to spectate.
Right now I have school Thursday nights so I can't make it until I'm out.
But yea the hemifever tune is the way to go!