Trailer brake error message - bad ground on truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had my enclosed trailer serviced yesterday. My dealer is very reputable and does great work. They replaced my four electric trailer brakes and a couple fender lights along with the pigtail cable. All worked well until 7 miles from home when the display gave me check trailer brakes and then? Trailer brakes disconnected messages. My trailer dealer told me newer trucks are very sensitive to truck or trailer wire corrosion. When I told him that when hooked up with my four ways flashing, that the interior led lights were pulsating with the four ways, he instantly directed his focus on the truck wiring. He asked my yo clean the ground and the 7 pin connections.
Questions. Where is the ground for the trailer plug connections so I can check for corrosion and clean?
Has anyone else had their truck disable the trailer brakes and how did you fix the issue?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
My trailer does this all the time even from brand new! Turn a Corner and it sets a message straighten out its gone. The trailer plug always seems tight so I bent the contacts on the trailer plug to be tighter and stuffed some tinfoil deep into the contacts as well. Towed 2000 km with it last time without a check trailer message. I swear by die electric grease but I personally don't like it in my trailer plugs, with all the action there is there it just attracts moisture dust and if you drop Ur trailer plug in gravel or sand it's stuck to it. Not to mention the mess it leaves on your hands.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Not sure if Ur looking for truck side or Trailer side. 45127cb380c4e9f95d62c45ae435f1e1.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if Ur looking for truck side or Trailer side. 45127cb380c4e9f95d62c45ae435f1e1.jpg

Actually was looking for the location of the ground strap on the truck. I cleaned the truck side contacts and wanted to be sure there wasn’t too much corrosion or any break where the harness grounds to the truck frame. Thanks

OP
OP
P

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I spent the money and took the Ram to the dealer. They ran it on the scanner with clear results. Checked for known issues and saw one related to fuses. All clear there. Checked the ground which is under the dash and it was good. So, the last resort would be to replace the trailer brake controller on the dash. $150 plus labor. I’ll drive it and see if unplugging the connections and adding dielectric grease has cured the issues. Electric issues sure are frustrating. [emoji52]

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I still personally think it's a fault between the trailer and truck connection. Even at that point the truck can sense that the trailer is connected therefore it has to sense power and ground on the trailer. Try checking trailer Ground too.

OP
OP
P

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just made an 800 mile trip with the truck and trailer. To ensure I didn’t have any issues with a pigtail loose connection, I zip tied the male end of the connection to the cover. No problems. I think that was my problem. The arctic cord cable doesn’t make a tight fit to my Ram seven pin receptacle and I can see how this could make for intermittent connections. I think I’m going to look for a Velcro strap to replace the effective yet inconvenient zip tie method. Hope my experience helps others.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Just seen this. Kind of figured it was right at the plug. Happy you figured it out. Velcro is a good idea. My tinfoil is still holding up though. [emoji50]

OP
OP
P

Pay2play

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Velcro has worked well to keep the make plug end in place. I do have to give big props for the arctic cord. It stayed very flexible in the cold temps.

Dobbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummings
2015 ram 2500 I have experienced the same, after 5 wheel sets a winter. cleaned the plug , possibly getting close to replace. but cleaning and lube helps ithas run all spring being cleaned.