Trailer Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my truck back in November and it does not have a trailer hitch receiver! How can you call your truck a truck without a trailer hitch.......Where is a good place to purchase one from. I can get one from the dealer for $130 but if I have them install it it will cost almost $400.F that!:sparta:

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I've always gotten them from u-haul. They do s pretty good job installing. This time I made sure my truck came with one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my truck back in November and it does not have a trailer hitch receiver! How can you call your truck a truck without a trailer hitch.......Where is a good place to purchase one from. I can get one from the dealer for $130 but if I have them install it it will cost almost $400.F that!:sparta:

If it's like my 2011, it does have the steel hitch cross member factory. You just need to install the 2" receiver tube. I agreee it's pretty dumb not to have it already though.

Just look under there and make sure the cross member is there, I can't imagine that it isn't.
It's a simple 15 minute install by yourself. Here's the link.
Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ram 1500 | etrailer.com

OP
OP
Ram357

Ram357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to head to the dealership when I get back from overseas. I will just buy one from them and install it myself. I can't let the Uhaul people do my hitch.....some of the folks that work there are window lickers.

Brearlymason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ditch the receiver hitch altogether and go with a Reunel Extreme Bumper.

From their website:

The Reunel extreme heavy duty rear towing bumper and rear winch bumper is the strongest rear bumper in the world! The Reunel bumper towing hitch capacity is rated to tow 20,000 pounds and delivers a 6,000 pound tongue weight. Designed for rear end collision protection the hand crafted bumper is manufactured from top quality US Steel. The solid half inch thick steel mounting system wraps the frame from both the side and underneath reinforcing the vehicle host frame. The exterior channels of the bumpers are hand crafted quarter inch thick plate US Steel. Reunel uses top quality DuPont professional automotive finishes to assure maximum durability and quality appearance of the steel. Special features such as relocation of the vehicle trailer plug to a protected location between our signature double half inch steel center hitch area and grade eight hardware guarantees Reunel customers the most efficient rear collision bumper and towing hitch system possible.

Fuller_rb.jpg

Dodgerearleft20120223.jpg

They do have a new bumper with cut outs for dual exhaust on the Ram too!

iNtErNeT_rYaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Agreed. They should have em but the federal government wants better MPG. Expect to see steel bumpers go next.
That said. I prefer a clean stock look. I added a dealer installed to my Srt10. It didn't have one listed as available. But once we took off the plastic cover it was the same substructure. Just like a clean look

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If it's like my 2011, it does have the steel hitch cross member factory. You just need to install the 2" receiver tube. I agreee it's pretty dumb not to have it already though.

Just look under there and make sure the cross member is there, I can't imagine that it isn't.
It's a simple 15 minute install by yourself. Here's the link.
Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ram 1500 | etrailer.com

Is that an easy on/off version of the factory hitch? I read that the factory hitch is a major pain to remove... is that right?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that an easy on/off version of the factory hitch? I read that the factory hitch is a major pain to remove... is that right?

Not sure what you mean by easy on/off. That receiver that I linked to only took less than 20 minutes to install. Fish two bolts through the frame with the provided fish wire and install the special giant allen bolt through the bumper center hole.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not sure what you mean by easy on/off. That receiver that I linked to only took less than 20 minutes to install. Fish two bolts through the frame with the provided fish wire and install the special giant allen bolt through the bumper center hole.

The factory class IV hitch is harder to remove... I wasn't interested in having a hitch permanently attached, rusting away with minimal use.

Sent from my iPhone

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ditch the receiver hitch altogether and go with a Reunel Extreme Bumper.

From their website:

Fuller_rb.jpg

Dodgerearleft20120223.jpg

They do have a new bumper with cut outs for dual exhaust on the Ram too!

Sorry...the truck frame will give long before that bumper...bad way to go.

Also, that bumper costs about 1/15 of the cost of my truck....I ain't paying 3300 for a shiny bumper, or 1650 for a painted one.

A 200 dollar hitch will work just fine thank you.

Jim45498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the dealer reciever , easy to install and just need a tourqe wrench.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I always talk em down to a price I think is fair then make them throw a hitch in the bed and its a deal. I'd rather spend 15 mins drinking a beer and installing it myself then wait an hr for them to do it

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Agreed. They should have em but the federal government wants better MPG. Expect to see steel bumpers go next.
That said. I prefer a clean stock look. I added a dealer installed to my Srt10. It didn't have one listed as available. But once we took off the plastic cover it was the same substructure. Just like a clean look

I asked about this when I order my truck the bumper is rated as a Class III, I still order the frame mount Class IV, I don't need the wight but like the idea of the 2" receiver.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked about this when I order my truck the bumper is rated as a Class III, I still order the frame mount Class IV, I don't need the wight but like the idea of the 2" receiver.

Maybe the 2013 is different and that's where the confusion is, but I don't think so.

The receiver hitch I linked to earlier in the thread is a 2" receiver and is not mounted to the bumper alone. At least in my 2011 and a 2012 that I looked at, there is a frame mounted hitch bar behind the bumper. The 2" receiver mounts to frame mounted cross bar with 2 bolts and then 1 additional bolt goes through the bumper center hole.

It's a custom fit class III receiver and only takes like 15 minutes to install. it's what I tow my camper with and is rated 600 lb tongue weight and 6000 lb trailer weight.
But with a weight distribution hitch like I use, it's rated 1000 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lb trailer weight - More than my truck is rated to pull.

Ray

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I said screw it and ordered it from the factory... It's all done for me, so all I have to do is grab my ball and stick it in, and grab the trailer lights and hook them up.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Maybe the 2013 is different and that's where the confusion is, but I don't think so.

The receiver hitch I linked to earlier in the thread is a 2" receiver and is not mounted to the bumper alone. At least in my 2011 and a 2012 that I looked at, there is a frame mounted hitch bar behind the bumper. The 2" receiver mounts to frame mounted cross bar with 2 bolts and then 1 additional bolt goes through the bumper center hole.

It's a custom fit class III receiver and only takes like 15 minutes to install. it's what I tow my camper with and is rated 600 lb tongue weight and 6000 lb trailer weight.
But with a weight distribution hitch like I use, it's rated 1000 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lb trailer weight - More than my truck is rated to pull.

Ray

I think I know what your talking about, I was just stating that the bumper is a Class III just by putting the ball on it. I guess it is a good idea but I want the 2" receiver. That is why I ordered the Class IV. Also to have the factory put it on it was only like $150. I have things that I put in there beside a trailer. Bike Rack, Cargo Rack, Snow Plow etc.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't imagine a truck without a hitch. Everyone is different though so I get it that not everyone needs one or even wants one. Mine came factory and it has been used a lot no issues at all.

$miley