Trailer Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cahriad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My trip recorder for the trailer is not reading correctly. I manually keep a spreadsheet for my trailer miles and service records and when I compare it to the trip recorder on the truck the mileage differs, my spreadsheet says 6300 and the truck say around 3500 miles. I know my spreadsheet is correct.

Any reason?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I gathered it only counts miles when a trailer with electric brakes is detected. Two possibilities:
- Multiple trailers with some of them not having brakes
- Trailer developed an "open" fault in the electric brake wiring so it is not detected

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Did you perhaps reset the trailer miles to zero, easy to do. I did mine and so far it it is spot on with my towing. Just an idea.

Aharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am guessing you have to be in tow mode for the electric brakes to work. then the system knows you have a trailer hooked up and will count the mileage .

Dot B

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021Ram Warlock Quad Cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do all trucks have a tow mode. I just purchased a 2021 Ram Warlock with 5.7L Hemi that is supposed to have a tow pkg on it. I see no buttons or switches for tow mode. My 2018 GMC had a button to push when I was pulling my 16’ cargo trailer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do all trucks have a tow mode. I just purchased a 2021 Ram Warlock with 5.7L Hemi that is supposed to have a tow pkg on it. I see no buttons or switches for tow mode. My 2018 GMC had a button to push when I was pulling my 16’ cargo trailer.
There should be a button labeled Tow/Haul in the top row of the buttons under the HVAC controls, next to the brake controller.

All the 8HP70 transmissions get the same cooler set up whether the truck has the towing package or not. The trans cooler is the top couple rows of what's also the AC condenser.
If I'm not mistaken all the Hemi come with an oil cooler now.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, if nothing is plugged in truck would have no way of knowing to count the miles. I've hauled Uhaul auto transporters with inertia brakes and I'm pretty sure those miles don't count.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My trip recorder for the trailer is not reading correctly. I manually keep a spreadsheet for my trailer miles and service records and when I compare it to the trip recorder on the truck the mileage differs, my spreadsheet says 6300 and the truck say around 3500 miles. I know my spreadsheet is correct.

Any reason?

Where do you find this info? I have a 2016 2500 and might not have it.

thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Where do you find this info? I have a 2016 2500 and might not have it.
If your asking where the miles for the trailer are, I know it's on the 7" EVIC display trailer brake page, not sure if it's on the standard 3.5" EVIC. The trucks with the 8.4 radio can save 4 trailer settings/mileages

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If your asking where the miles for the trailer are, I know it's on the 7" EVIC display trailer brake page, not sure if it's on the standard 3.5" EVIC. The trucks with the 8.4 radio can save 4 trailer settings/mileages

It is there on my 2017 Tradesman with the small DIC, you just have to drill down through several screens to get into the trailers area. It is located where you select the types of trailer brakes and such and it shows there.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It is there on my 2017 Tradesman with the small DIC, you just have to drill down through several screens to get into the trailers area. It is located where you select the types of trailer brakes and such and it shows there.
I did not know about this. will be nice once i find it.