Trans gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For you guys that have used a rubber gasket for the trans pan. Did you also use any silicone to help seal the pan? Getting ready to swap out fluid and bought a new rubber gasket and most videos I watch have people using just silicone only. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
For you guys that have used a rubber gasket for the trans pan. Did you also use any silicone to help seal the pan? Getting ready to swap out fluid and bought a new rubber gasket and most videos I watch have people using just silicone only. Thanks in advance.

I did my trans fluid and filter change at 100k. I just used the rubber gasket that came with the "kit".

Traded the truck in at just over 175k miles. And it was still holding up great. Given we dont have salt. Or harsh winters in Houston.. but we do have super hot weather, and all was good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Great! Thanks! Wasn’t sure if any was needed. I am using the wix filter kit along with Amsoil fluid.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Great! Thanks! Wasn’t sure if any was needed. I am using the wix filter kit along with Amsoil fluid.

Yep. Wix kit is what I used also. Cones with the screw on filter. And the flat filer right?

You should be good to go. Jusy make sure you torque the bolts to spec, in a star pattern like wheels.

I also checked them for a couple of days just to be sure once they got some heat cycles through them

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep. Wix kit is what I used also. Cones with the screw on filter. And the flat filer right?

You should be good to go. Jusy make sure you torque the bolts to spec, in a star pattern like wheels.

I also checked them for a couple of days just to be sure once they got some heat cycles through them

Yep comes with both filters and gasket. Had to do a little research since I have the 66rfe but was able to find it. Everything was listing for the 68rfe but is pretty much the same for mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yep comes with both filters and gasket. Had to do a little research since I have the 66rfe but was able to find it. Everything was listing for the 68rfe but is pretty much the same for mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah. I did this on my old truck which was a 2012. So I had the 66rfe also.

Good luck!

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah. I did this on my old truck which was a 2012. So I had the 66rfe also.

Good luck!

Doing a little more research I found that the filter kit I got is for shallow pan only. From what I’ve seen it’s for 2wd applications and I need 4wd. So I believe I need to get a deep pan kit and since everything comes up for a 68rfe I think I can use that.

Do you happen to know what kit you used? You would think you could type in 66rfe and get the info you need but it does not give it. Only 68rfe or 545rfe.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Doing a little more research I found that the filter kit I got is for shallow pan only. From what I’ve seen it’s for 2wd applications and I need 4wd. So I believe I need to get a deep pan kit and since everything comes up for a 68rfe I think I can use that.

Do you happen to know what kit you used? You would think you could type in 66rfe and get the info you need but it does not give it. Only 68rfe or 545rfe.

Ahh. That's right. Unfortunately I had a 2wd. So I would have used the exact kit you have, having the shallow pan.

So I wouldn't be much help for the 4wd application.

But free bump to the top for you!

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No problem I appreciate the reply. I did find a kit I think made by power torque for a deep pan at oriellys but was hoping to use the wix. Not sure why they don’t list one for the 4x4 or at least if they do I’m having trouble finding it. Going to wix site directly takes me to the shallow pan kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I ended up getting oem mopar filters and used a gasket from another kit. Very messy job but worth it.

So far I can tell the truck feels stronger and my fuel mileage has gone up a little. According to the evic but will get a better calculation once I fill up next.

My old fluid still looked nice and red and didn’t look or smell bad but wanted to change it out for Amsoil. No idea how many miles on the old fluid since I bought the truck used.

Getting ready to head to Florida in a couple of weeks and will be pulling the travel trailer so better to get it done now.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Well I ended up getting oem mopar filters and used a gasket from another kit. Very messy job but worth it.

So far I can tell the truck feels stronger and my fuel mileage has gone up a little. According to the evic but will get a better calculation once I fill up next.

My old fluid still looked nice and red and didn’t look or smell bad but wanted to change it out for Amsoil. No idea how many miles on the old fluid since I bought the truck used.

Getting ready to head to Florida in a couple of weeks and will be pulling the travel trailer so better to get it done now.

Nice. Glad you got it done.

Wheb I did mine I expected a mess. So bought a cheap20 dollar kids plastic pool so I made sure nothing got spilled lol

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice. Glad you got it done.

Wheb I did mine I expected a mess. So bought a cheap20 dollar kids plastic pool so I made sure nothing got spilled lol

Thanks. A kiddie pool would have been a great idea. That’s about how big of an area you need. Lol

twin88cam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, full deletes, stock muffler, RaceMe tow tune..
Just in case you want wix next time.

Deep pan 58843 4x4
Shallow pan 58846 4x2

Also, I loosen the lower line going into trans, attach lenghth of heater hose, start truck and pump fluid into bucket, when flow looks to be stopping, shut off truck. Less fluid in pan this way. Installed BD deep pan so less mess with future changes.