Trans. Hangs in gear too long - any common culprits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Hi all, just picked up a 1999 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 as a winter beater / plow truck. It runs pretty good but while driving it hangs in gear too long. For example, it wont shift until I go above about 30 mph, no matter how high the rpm's or how long I am not accelerating. It also does this in 2nd gear and 3rd, it wont shift until I go past certain MPH. I tried turning OD off but it made no difference. The ATF fluid looks pretty dark, but it is not throwing any codes or anything.

Any advice on what is wrong here? Thanks for any input / help!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
This is a similar symptom to the 2nd gen front band issues. You might want to try the 3rd gen forum to see if there is anything specific since your trans is different, but in the 2nd gens that would be rebuild time.

Edit: I read the thing wrong, I completely looked over where you specifically stated 99 5.2 and thought you were talking about an 04 5.7l

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Easiest and cheapest thing to do is have the transmission serviced first, then see how it performs.

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
This is a similar symptom to the 2nd gen front band issues. You might want to try the 3rd gen forum to see if there is anything specific since your trans is different, but in the 2nd gens that would be rebuild time.

Mine is a 2nd gen, no?

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Easiest and cheapest thing to do is have the transmission serviced first, then see how it performs.

By serviced, like change fluid and filter? or something more in depth?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Normal service only. Just a fluid and filter change.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the 5.9 in the ‘99 that I used to have, but I’m pretty sure they used the same transmission.
Fluid and filter maintenance are critical for a long service life out of those transmissions, especially if you are going to use it for plowing.
Along with changing the fluid and filter, id also recommend having the bands and TV cable adjusted.

Also, while your symptoms aren’t usually associated with it, I have seen a faulty TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) cause shifting irregularities with the 2nd gen trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sdamike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and a 1999
Engine
Thanks to everyone for the input!

The truck is not on the road and may not be and just become my lot truck so taking it somewhere to be worked on isn't a option unfortunately. Is adjusting the bands something I could do at home? Im pretty mechanically inclined but not very familiar with auto. trans. in general.

Also I was reading somewhere else of the speed sensor and governor control solenoid in the trans. possibly causing issues... Or is that a reach?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Mine is a 2nd gen, no?
No, 2nd gen technically ends in 2002, but only if you have the 2nd gen engines and not the 3rd gen.

You have a 3rd gen engine, not sure if the trans are the same as the 2nd gen trans. 46re is probably what you'll have if it is in fact the same trans.

When you go to do the fluid and filter change (if it is the band it won't really make it any worse) forget the flush machines, just drop the pan and change the filter. If you can, peek up and around the valve body on the front side of the trans, you are looking for what appears to be a drum with a metal belt around it. I cant remember if its visible while the valve body is in. Might be worth picking up a cheap Chinese $10 bore scope. They make USB OTG that plug into your phone.

If its metal on metal, or just about, no amount of fluid will fix it. Good news it, I found a way to change the front band without the need for a rebuild. I tested it out with a donor band from another transmission, and it worked like new. The band was almost trashed already, so its not perfect, but compared to having to floor it and ******** the gear shift, its an amazing improvement.

Edit: See my first post for my dyslexia

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
No, 2nd gen technically ends in 2002, but only if you have the 2nd gen engines and not the 3rd gen.

You have a 3rd gen engine, not sure if the trans are the same as the 2nd gen trans. 46re is probably what you'll have if it is in fact the same trans.

When you go to do the fluid and filter change (if it is the band it won't really make it any worse) forget the flush machines, just drop the pan and change the filter. If you can, peek up and around the valve body on the front side of the trans, you are looking for what appears to be a drum with a metal belt around it. I cant remember if its visible while the valve body is in. Might be worth picking up a cheap Chinese $10 bore scope. They make USB OTG that plug into your phone.

If its metal on metal, or just about, no amount of fluid will fix it. Good news it, I found a way to change the front band without the need for a rebuild. I tested it out with a donor band from another transmission, and it worked like new. The band was almost trashed already, so its not perfect, but compared to having to floor it and ******** the gear shift, its an amazing improvement.
5.2 is 2nd gen bud

As others have said, fluid and filter change with band adjustment. Does a lot for these. That and maybe a tv cable adjustment.

YouTube user Spelunkerd has a great video on the trans fluid change. Just search "Spelunkerd dodge ram" to find his page.

Jasper Transmissions has a how to on tv cable adjustment on YouTube as well

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
5.2 is 2nd gen bud

I completely skipped over the part where he called it a 99 5.2. I read his little info card and saw 04 5.7l :roflsquared:

I've been away too long