Transfer case switch (5 Position)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NicholasB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello everyone, I am needing some help.
In my truck I have the 5 position 4WD transfer case switch that has RWD Auto.

I recently noticed some rain damage in my truck. After raining hard I noticed water on the floor of front driver side seat.

I think that this has led to some electrical issues with my 4WD transfer case switch. As of right now when I turn my truck on it shows that it is in 4WD auto when it should be in two wheel drive. When I switch to 4WD auto, it goes to 4WD Lock. When I switch to 4WD Lock it does nothing and when I go to 4WD Low, it switches correctly to 4WD Low.

I think the rain go into the switch itself and I need to replace it. The problem is that the 5 Position 4WD switch has been discontinued and I cannot find a replacement for it anywhere.

Am I able to replace the 5 position switch with a four position switch that I can find everywhere? I appreciate any help!

sleepy hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can offer the diagnostics for the switch from the 2008 service manual if that may be of any help. I have the NV 246 transfer case (made by New Venture for GM as I understand it). I am currently trying to troubleshoot my 4WD system and believe I have confirmed that I have a bad TC shift motor. Waiting for the part to arrive this week. Fingers crossed. My switch, TIPM, and wiring seems all to be sound based on the diagnostics procedures I have tried from the manual.

Good luck. Happy to provide any further info from the manual. PM me and I'll shoot the whole thing over to you.

If you have not already done so, might want to give the interior sufficient time to dry as that could help the problem go away or change which would be a clue that the switch is a candidate. Also, the TIPM should be checked for corrosion/shorts as it distributes the power as commanded by the switch and other control systems. The transfer case control wiring is in the C4 connector on the back of the TIPM once you snap it out of the holder next to the battery. That is the upper leftmost plug F on my truck (2007).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 9.38.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 9.38.45 AM.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 3

sleepy hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also, you mention your switch has 5-positions. Mine is 4 rotary knob positions plus neutral which is a tiny momentary switch that is in the lower left of the switch front. I assume that is what you mean by 5?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357