Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 2005. Cold start truck won’t move not in drive and not in reverse. Waiting about 30 second and it goes anywhere, zero problem with shifting. The biggest issue is when is in wot shakes really bad. Seems like a bad universal joint but I’ve already replaced that so it is something regarding the transmission. Someone said the fluid is wrong and the old owner brought the truck for transmission service ( I have the paper work). I was thinking the torque converter maybe? Nobody has the same issue?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The cold start issue you described is called "converter drainback". The return filter has a check valve that is supposed to help keep the TC full. If it was serviced with an aftermarket filter set (they tend to suck) the check valves in those tend to be ******. Takes about 30sec for the pump to fill the converter back up, no fluid in the TC, no movement. If it is the wrong fluid in it (supposed to be ATF+4) that could be an issue and may have already caused damage. What's the paperwork say filters and fluid wise?

OP
OP
Diro

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cold start issue you described is called "converter drainback". The return filter has a check valve that is supposed to help keep the TC full. If it was serviced with an aftermarket filter set (they tend to suck) the check valves in those tend to be ******. Takes about 30sec for the pump to fill the converter back up, no fluid in the TC, no movement. If it is the wrong fluid in it (supposed to be ATF+4) that could be an issue and may have already caused damage. What's the paperwork say filters and fluid wise?

The paperwork said that was replaced filter, oil, gasket and flushed the system but is not specified what kind or brand. What about the vibration. Is due by the TC too? I’m thinking a this point to drop the tranny, change the TC. Put new filter, fluid etc and I should be good to go

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

KansasBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 05 started doing it at 40,000, especially in the winter it seemed like. I changed the trans fluid and "filters" last month at 55K and the issue went away. No shaking, just no movement during a cold start.