Truck may have been “flashed”???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there any way to tell(other than just taking their word for it) if the dealership performed a software update/flash on my truck when I took it in for the fuel tank strap recall?
Taking the truck in was an ordeal, and only reinforced my dislike of dealerships, but that’s another story.
I have had the truck back for a little over a week, but I don’t drive it everyday, and when I do, it’s usually back roads. Anyway, I was driving the truck last night, and it seemed a little sluggish compared to before I took it in. Not really like the engine was down on power, but more like the shift points of the transmission were off just a little bit, which made it seem like it was lugging the engine.
At one specific time, I was driving at about 30mph, and let off the gas to coast through a turn. Upon exiting the turn, I got back on the gas, and the truck felt like it was dragging an anchor. I eased into the accelerator, expecting a down shift and acceleration. Neither happened until I had the pedal almost to the floor, and it felt like it down shifted all the way to first. The rpm shot up, there was a brief acceleration, and then it upshifted again.

The truck did not behave this way prior to taking it into the dealership. The invoice shows the tank strap repair, and a very vaguely described “20 point inspection”.

Any thoughts/insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My dealer performs updates on the computer any time the vehicle is there

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys[emoji106]
I’ll give it a little longer, and see how it behaves before pursuing it any farther with the dealer.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Standard first step for most repairs/recalls/etc. is "disconnect battery." As others said, relearn mode.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's almost certain they disconnected the battery so your computer needs to relearn how you drive.

Just go out and drive it like you normally would and it will relearn your style and perform appropriately.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think everyone was right.
The trans shifting seems to be returning to normal, and I have found no update stickers.
[emoji106]

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The trans shifting seems to be returning to normal, and I have found no update stickers.
[emoji106]

I may be mistaking but I dont think they put a sticker on trucks that get flashed anymore.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mbeni555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am experiencing the same thing! I took my 2016 Ram 1500 in for a cruise control recall. I noticed that it was a bit sluggish and the gas mileage dropped. I was getting 16 around city, now I'm at 13.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Same thing, recall, mileage drop, shift points changed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[emoji106]

I feel bad cause I read your original post the other day and kinda chuckled. Then, I took my truck in for a recall (flash the PCM) and now my truck feels like poo.

I didn't know about all the "learning and remembering" the computer does.

Jim Tinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
I bought a used 2001 ram sport v10, auto 2wd, I noticed a sticker on the radiator mount that said ecm flashed 2003, so I guess its a little out dated... should I get it flashed for any particular reason? sorry wrong area.... can this be moved or do I need to delete and repost in 2nd generation thread thanks

z190074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had my 2014 Ram in the shop for work, and they flashed my computer. Now, my superchips flashpak for my truck is not working...They say they are working on it. Any tunes I install have ZERO throttle...Not even at idle...2 weeks now...