Truck reads empty and gas lit is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys I'm kind of baffled here. My check engine light came on and the my gas gage starting to read empty shortly after. This has never happen before, So I Disconnected my battery and then connected back up and the check engine light went off and my gas gage is working properly what could cause that?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Gremlins. If it doesn't return it was just a computer glitch. If it returns, I would start with hooking up the OBD and see what if any codes there are and go from there. You got to remember, these vehicles are controlled by electronics and sometimes, they just twitch. Good luck

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is really odd and really interesting too. I had a check engine light come on with my 2001 Honda Civic, my RPMs RPM's wouldn't go past 2000 and it had something to do with the oil pressure sensor. I reset the light and it never came back on in the six years that I owned it. It is so weird how the computer can just glitch out like that, but I'm almost wondering if it's kind of like cellphones how you have to periodically restart them or they start doing some real funky ****

OP
OP
Scotty_12

Scotty_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, took it to a local parts store to have it scanned and it ended up being the fuel level sensor. Thank you for all the posts.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, took it to a local parts store to have it scanned and it ended up being the fuel level sensor. Thank you for all the posts.

So, i think it's funny how you posted this problem. Because, last Thursday I went fishing, on the way back, my check engine light came on. Went to the gas station and filled up. I was just above a half, filled up. I then went to start my truck and my gas gauge was on empty with my gas light on. I turned off my truck and turned it back on and it was still doing the same thing. So I turned it off and I let it sit for a minute, and it's normal now. Went home and read my check engine light and it was my EGR valve. Maybe mine was a legitimate glitch or maybe it's my fuel sensor going out

OP
OP
Scotty_12

Scotty_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope by changing the fuel pump will fix my problem. I wish their was a way just to replace fuel sensor. I don't think I need a new fuel pump as my truck still runs great

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Its kinda funny, once I was driving and all of the sudden my dash beeped and I saw my gas gauge was at zero. I knew I had gas so I wasn’t worried, and it fixed itself within 5 minutes. Never had that problem again. A few months later my fuel pump DID go bad, so maybe the fuel sensor was on its way out as well. Still weird it only happened once

I’ve had a lot of weird one-off issues with this truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a 20 gal tank and the fill sensor set to read properly. When the low fuel light comes on I have 15 miles left if I drive very easily... around a 175 mile range.. In my case it is truely a idiot light..

Mbi777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my F150, 2007 my fuel level sensor went bad and it cost me $800 to have it replaced. Hopefully it won’t cost as much for the Ram if it continues to happen. Good luck!