truck shuts off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcozzi71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2004 Ram 5.7L shuts off while driving down the road. It happens sometimes 2-3 times a day some days and sometimes does not happen for 2-3 weeks.

I have CEL codes

p2302 (ignition coil number 1)
p0300 (cylinder misfire detected)
p0406 (exhaust gas recirculation)
p0306 (cylinder misfire number 6)

I have read in doing some research it can be a crankshaft sensor which can cause this problem, however when looking over the motor I noticed ignition coil pack number 1 is cracked. Should do I do a complete tune up and replace all the coil packs, plugs, and wires? Or should I just replace the crankshaft sensor and hope that fixes the problems? Hopefully this isnt a a bigger problem. Thanks

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.
Hopefully someone will chime in shortly.

LPSPEED2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is doing the same thing... no codes on mine though... i started thread in the "general discussion" area about mine. Good luck to both of us!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
My 2004 Ram 5.7L shuts off while driving down the road. It happens sometimes 2-3 times a day some days and sometimes does not happen for 2-3 weeks.

I have CEL codes

p2302 (ignition coil number 1)
p0300 (cylinder misfire detected)
p0406 (exhaust gas recirculation)
p0306 (cylinder misfire number 6)

I have read in doing some research it can be a crankshaft sensor which can cause this problem, however when looking over the motor I noticed ignition coil pack number 1 is cracked. Should do I do a complete tune up and replace all the coil packs, plugs, and wires? Or should I just replace the crankshaft sensor and hope that fixes the problems? Hopefully this isnt a a bigger problem. Thanks

First change the coils, especially the ones that are throwing codes. The drive it around and see if the codes come back. The EGR code can be a tricky one. Several things can throw that code. First thing to check for the egr code is your gas cap. Ensure it is a Mopar qualified one and it is tight. A loose or non-qualified one will throw the egr code. See what happens after you do the above and let us know how it works out.

whyross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 03 2500 that is doing the same thing but no codes are tripping. my mechanic friend said the same thing that it could be the crank or cam sensor, but with no code you really cant tell. his best answer is to start replacing ****$$$$$$$$$$$. I wish someone out there has a better answer.

LPSPEED2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just fixed mine on Monday. I figured since there was not check engine light illuminated, then there are no codes. I was wrong. I hooked up a scanner just in case, and I discovered that I did have a code P0404 -EGR issue. I replaced the EGR solenoid and cleared the code, and it has worked perfectly ever since. Hope this helps. Even if it is not the EGR, still check for codes even if the check engine light is not on, you may be surprised like I was.