PO302 number five cylinder misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscoepm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
I also have number five cylinder misfire. Change the ignition coil and spark plugs.
Here is how I got to this situation. Mine only happens at high RPMs as I was passing Somebody the engine light came on engine ran rough.
Engine light, then went off truck ran fine. I did a test and floored it again. Engine light came on and stayed on, went home and found the code PO 302 number five cylinder misfire. I changed the ignition coil did the test same roughness high rpm but light never stayed on. Cleared the code did it again high rpm light came on ran rough light went off. Change the spark plugs same thing. Getting ready to swap out fuel injectors to see if that’s the problem. Any ideas?

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I had similar symptoms on my 6.7 Cummins. In my case it turned out to be a bad injector wire on cylinder number 5 which caused the misfire. I verified it by removing the valve cover gasket and using an ohm meter to check every single one of the fuel injector wires. Sure enough one of the wires for cylinder 5 was open. All of these wires pass through the oil gasket (valve cover gasket). I went down to my local auto part store and got a new valve cover gasket with all of the injector wires and swapped it out and it's been good for many many miles since then. Simple solution, relatively cheap. It was about 100 and a half Roughly. I don't know if the 5.7 is done the same way but check your fuel injector wires first. Use the KISS rule! Hopefully you'll get off cheap. Good luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi,
I also have number five cylinder misfire. Change the ignition coil and spark plugs.
Here is how I got to this situation. Mine only happens at high RPMs as I was passing Somebody the engine light came on engine ran rough.
Engine light, then went off truck ran fine. I did a test and floored it again. Engine light came on and stayed on, went home and found the code PO 302 number five cylinder misfire. I changed the ignition coil did the test same roughness high rpm but light never stayed on. Cleared the code did it again high rpm light came on ran rough light went off. Change the spark plugs same thing. Getting ready to swap out fuel injectors to see if that’s the problem. Any ideas?
Time to do a compression test,and it probably wouldn't hurt to pull the drivers side valve cover and have somebody bump the engine over as you watch the rocker arm movement.If one rocker isn't moving as much as the others,park it ,till you can have the cam and lifters replaced.Keep driving it,and you'll fill the engine with metal filings,and then you'll have even more head aches

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The usual suspect is lifters, how many miles on engine? They usually start to fail with load, meaning high rpm in drive or towing. If it is worn cam it will only get worse. Never throws a code when cold at start up?

OP
OP
R

roscoepm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The usual suspect is lifters, how many miles on engine? They usually start to fail with load, meaning high rpm in drive or towing. If it is worn cam it will only get worse. Never throws a code when cold at start up?
It has about 154000 miles. Yes at high rpm's only. Only throws the code then and it goes away.. Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It has about 154000 miles. Yes at high rpm's only. Only throws the code then and it goes away.. Thanks
I'd jerk the valve covers off and check rocker arm movement if it was my truck.