Truck Starts With Key But Not With Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starts fine using the key in the ignition but wont even turn over when using the remote starter. It's an after market remote starter and has worked fine for many years. Any ideas of what is causing this? TIA.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Have you changed the battery in the FOB? We sometime forget the simple things at least I do lol. Next would clean the contact inside the FOB. , Sometimes a light rubbing with a pencil eraser help, or contact cleaner maybe ?? BUT not sure if contact cleaner is safe for a Key FOB ! Hopefully the techies chime in ! Also please Update what you find

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If the truck is low on fuel the remote start won't work.

Blue Mule

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check engine light on? Hood latch switch go bad? Had to replace mine this fall.

OP
OP
C

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, new battery in FOB, contacts are clean. Full tank of gas. No check engine or any other display on the instrument cluster. I wasnt aware there was a hood latch switch, I will check that next.

I do have an issue with parasitic drain on the battery but...if there's enough voltage in the battery to key start the truck, I would think that it would also be enough to remote start it, right?

So, do I take the truck to a mechanic that tells me the reason for the parasitic drain on the battery is caused by the remote starter?? Or, do I take it to the remote starter shop where they tell me the issue is with the battery?? Where do I start? All after I check the hood latch switch.

Airborne

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I would agree on your guess that if it starts with the key, it would likely start with the remote. However, it isn't a good move to be out and about with a known drain but not knowing what is the cause. If the battery is getting old, I'd replace it and go from there. Since the remote start isn't working, I'd go there next.

OP
OP
C

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trucks 12V battery is only 8 months old. The daily parasitic drain over 6 days from a fully charged battery went from 12.56 12.47 12.38 12.29 12.18 12.14 12.06....With the battery at 12.14 V... I tried the remote, the 12.14 reading went down to 11.80 and silence... tried the remote again the next day with the battery at 12.06 and the reading went to 11.89 and again, silence. So I tried with the key and she started right up, no slow or labored cranking...just a nice fast start.
I have the battery on a charger now and when it's at a full charge I'm going to disconnect the negative cable and leave it disconnected until I can get her to the shop... unless someone here has any suggestions.
I did the same thing with a fully charged battery over a week ago and had no change in the voltage the next day.

Hotrod45,
Welcome Home Bro.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Being aftermarket not sure if this applies, on our Jeep the the doors had to be locked. I figured it would do that automatically. We we got the garage, we didn't lock it and would open the garage door then try to start it. Took me a visit to talk to the dealership maintenance manage to point it out to me.

OP
OP
C

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wy-Dave,
I bought this truck new in 06 and she's been around the block a few times. So I know all of the maintenance history, this is new. I put her on the charger overnight and I'm going to go through the steps over again just incase I missed something. I'll be back after the holidays or if I find out the problem,
which ever comes first.
Happy Holidays!

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's not a Ram, but my wife's 2015 Chevrolet Equinox wouldn't start remotely, but started no problem with the key. I had to replace the car battery. Not bad, it has 80k miles on the OEM battery. That would be my guess that it's the truck battery.