Truck won't go into gear? Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So yesterday morning I went to go somewhere and I turned on my truck and put it in reverse, but when I stepped on the gas the engine only revved and I did not move anywhere, the same thing happens in all gears. I've tried multiple times throughout the day yesterday and its still happening. Only thing I did to try to fix it was disconnect and reconnect the battery which didn't work.. Any idea on what may be wrong?

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Transfer case in nutreal

OP
OP
rwalk

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Transfer case in nutreal

The only way I would know to check that is the light where I can press neutral in the same panel as my shift-on-the-fly but that is off.. We tried getting it to go in 2wd, 4hi, and 4low but no luck at all

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
That would be the only way I know how to check it too. Lite off no neutral. Drive shaft still connected?

OP
OP
rwalk

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That would be the only way I know how to check it too. Lite off no neutral. Drive shaft still connected?

As far as I can tell yes.. I drove it the other day it worked perfectly fine then the next morning I tried to leave and it just wouldn't go..

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Somewhere on here I remember reading a thread about this same issue and it turned out the shifter linkage came undone at the transmission....

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rwalk

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The truck got towed via flatbed to the dealer this morning, so we will find out soon

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I can't wait to hear

badjuju2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a shifter linkage

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
rwalk

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Got the truck back today, bear with me on the description since this information has been relayed between a few sources before it got to me, and my dad said he was only half listening.

From what I was told, the dealer originally said that the whole transmission was garbage and that it wasn't covered by warranty because I have taken the truck off road. After the guy from my shop did some negotiating with the dealer, who he had connections at, they took a closer look and turns out that some filter within the transmission was either blocked or disconnected causing the issue, and they ended up covering it through warranty.

Again, bear with me as I will be getting some more info on the problem within the next day or two when I go back to the shop.

No matter what it was, I'm glad it is working again and even better, that it was free!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca