Turbo Issues 2013 6.7 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I will try and keep this short, but I am looking for some help/advice for my 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. I really do love this truck but I feel as though I have had nothing but problems. I recently had the check engine light come on U101C which is the lost communication with Turbo I had put it off for a while as the truck was running fine and then after a week the turbo lost all pressure and my Exhaust Brake was gone. With that said, I bite the built and had the turbo rebuilt, and the actuator replaced.

I go to put the turbo back in and everything was good for about 20 minutes, no check engine light, no power loss, everything was good. Then the check engine light came back on and more codes came through. When I initially start the vehicle it has a full 30 Psi of boost and runs great, but then after about 10 minutes it goes into limp mode and I only have 10-14 psi of boost. Here are the codes I currently have P00AF, P003A, P0046, and U101C. I know what they all mean I just don’t know what to do from here. I am going to start calling mechanics to get their thoughts I just am really nervous about racking up a huge bill and getting ripped off. I have tried and tried to get it right but nothing I research or do seems to make a difference. I have left a lot out, but I could really use some help/advice if anyone has anything to offer.

Thanks!

Brian

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you cleared all the codes than seen which came back? The fact that you’re still getting the U010C points to either a bad actuator or you have a wiring issues/PCM.

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Tach_tech ...Well I have tried to clear the codes but my code reader will not clear them. The actuator was replaced so I was thinking maybe it needs to be hooked up to a computer to be told that its a new Actuator? This is what I am so lost on. I think your on the right path though regarding the PCM.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Try disconnecting both batteries for about an hour. That should clear all the codes, then see what ones return. Some of your codes that show up now could be stored codes from before you rebuilt the turbo.

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im going to head out to my truck in a little while and try that while i am at work.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try disconnecting both batteries for about an hour. That should clear all the codes, then see what ones return. Some of your codes that show up now could be stored codes from before you rebuilt the turbo.

Well disconnected the batteries all day and that still didnt work.

Im going to take it to a couple of shops this weekend to get their input as well. Thanks for the help!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe there is a module (possibly 2?) that controls the actuator. That module and the PCM are supposed to talk and if that module has failed, it will throw the "U" code.

Given that you also have the P00AF code (Turbocharger Boost Control A Module Performance outside of normal range) I believe that module is bad.

The P003A code indicates replacement of the turbo but I think that's a secondary code being thrown because the system it out of whack, not because the turbo is bad.

The P0046 code just means the PCM has noted an out of range reading has been detected in the turbo.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Wise decision. A qualified tech with a pro scanner will follow the code, check sequence and nail down what the reason is for the run condition. Much cheaper than diesel parts guessing.

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your help and information as it has reassured me that this has gone over my head and needs to be in the hands of a qualified diesel mechanic. I guess I just am so nervous about racking up a huge bill, I just want to do as much as I can myself.

Im gonna make some calls tomorrow and go from there.

I will keep this all in mind when speaking to a mechanic.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Now this might be silly. And I've never messed with a turbo diesel. But any chance a sensor on the turbo was no re connected?

Total shot in the dark comment. Turbos dont usually have sensors. But these diesel turbo truck sound a lot more complicated lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is a turbo speed sensor but that will not cause the loss of communication faults he has.

The turbo actuator is the controller for the VGT portion of the turbo it communicates and is directly controlled by the PCM. It’s also very expensive and if not calibrated properly when installed it will damage a even more expensive turbo.

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If any of you still care here I am now a month later and still working on this truck issue. I think I have it narrowed down. After putting in my first refurbish turbo and actuator I took it to the dealer to have the computer flashed and they said they could not clear the codes as they still think it is a actuator issue. I call back to my turbo guy who has been working with me to try and solve this issue and he sends a new complete turbo and actuator which i swap out for the second time. (I can get them in and out quite easily now, I could do a step by step if anyone cares). After hoping that i had a lemon turbo and actuator, I then try to clear the codes but they would still not go away. I decided to do a little more research and found a company who could trouble shoot my computer for issues. I pulled the computer and sent it to them and right away they told me that it had some failed hardware and they fixed it. So it is now being shipped back to me to install and hopefully this will solve all my issues. If this doesn't fix my issues, I am going to join the lawsuit regarding these trucks being lemons and go from there. I just go this paper in the mail the other day regarding some lemon laws maybe I have one of them?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is your truck deleted and tuned by chance?

As far as lemon lawsuit on the truck, I think that is just lawyers fishing, they do it all the time. You are well beyond any kind of lemon laws at this point.

OP
OP
T

TheNAUTHIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@mtnrider ... the truck is completely stock. I would love to tear into the truck but out here in CA it will never pass smog. And regarding the lemon laws your probably right .

Thanks!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@mtnrider ... the truck is completely stock. I would love to tear into the truck but out here in CA it will never pass smog. And regarding the lemon laws your probably right .

Thanks!

The reason I asked is the few times I had seen this issue and those codes were on trucks that had been tuned. Maybe it was just coincidence but seemed to be very few stock stocks in comparison.

Hopefully you get it sorted out soon.

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
Ok so I will try and keep this short, but I am looking for some help/advice for my 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. I really do love this truck but I feel as though I have had nothing but problems. I recently had the check engine light come on U101C which is the lost communication with Turbo I had put it off for a while as the truck was running fine and then after a week the turbo lost all pressure and my Exhaust Brake was gone. With that said, I bite the built and had the turbo rebuilt, and the actuator replaced.

I go to put the turbo back in and everything was good for about 20 minutes, no check engine light, no power loss, everything was good. Then the check engine light came back on and more codes came through. When I initially start the vehicle it has a full 30 Psi of boost and runs great, but then after about 10 minutes it goes into limp mode and I only have 10-14 psi of boost. Here are the codes I currently have P00AF, P003A, P0046, and U101C. I know what they all mean I just don’t know what to do from here. I am going to start calling mechanics to get their thoughts I just am really nervous about racking up a huge bill and getting ripped off. I have tried and tried to get it right but nothing I research or do seems to make a difference. I have left a lot out, but I could really use some help/advice if anyone has anything to offer.

Thanks!

Brian
I just went through this myself. My intelligent battery sensor on the ground of drivers side battery was cracked creating a short. fixed it and no more codes

JeremyFromMontana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If any of you still care here I am now a month later and still working on this truck issue. I think I have it narrowed down. After putting in my first refurbish turbo and actuator I took it to the dealer to have the computer flashed and they said they could not clear the codes as they still think it is a actuator issue. I call back to my turbo guy who has been working with me to try and solve this issue and he sends a new complete turbo and actuator which i swap out for the second time. (I can get them in and out quite easily now, I could do a step by step if anyone cares). After hoping that i had a lemon turbo and actuator, I then try to clear the codes but they would still not go away. I decided to do a little more research and found a company who could trouble shoot my computer for issues. I pulled the computer and sent it to them and right away they told me that it had some failed hardware and they fixed it. So it is now being shipped back to me to install and hopefully this will solve all my issues. If this doesn't fix my issues, I am going to join the lawsuit regarding these trucks being lemons and go from there. I just go this paper in the mail the other day regarding some lemon laws maybe I have one of them?

I'm having the same issue with my 2014. I have the same codes you are referring to. I just replaced the actuator but I'm still having the same issues and codes. One thing I've found is that if I clear the codes, the truck runs fine, full boost and full exhaust brake. But after a little while the check engine light comes on again, the codes return and I lose the exhaust brake and have limited boost. I can clear the codes again, and again it runs fine, then the check engine light comes back on again, the exhaust brake stops working again, I have low boost again, and over and over, I get the same results. Strange the truck has turbo/driveability issues ONLY when the check engine light is on, but immediately runs fine when I clear the codes. Since I replaced the actuator and clearing codes allows the truck to run perfectly I don't think it's the turbo or actuator that is the problem . I am starting to think it's an electrical issue, or maybe similar to the problem you're having with the computer. Did having the computer repaired fix the problem? What is the company you sent it to? Anyone else have any thoughts where another issue, other than the turbo or actuator failing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat