turbo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiger9297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Was towing my camper yesterday w my '99 running up a hill about 65mph. It's a big camper so the truck was pulling pretty hard.....all of a sudden I heard a loud sound almost like a tire had blown out. I knew it wasn't that because the truck was driving the same. I pulled over and the rubber "joint" on the intake side of the turbo had come out from under the clamp and had essentially collapsed. I tried to get it back on but couldn't there on the side of the road. Had no choice but to press on. I was about 10 miles from home. The truck runs fine but has NO power. Would this "joint" coming off cause that much of a power drop? As soon as it warms up I'm gonna try to go out and get it back on.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the intake horn is not receiving any boost from the turbo or less boost than normal, you will notice a significant decrease in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
He didn't lose the intake horn he lost the connection to the turbo on the fitter side of it. Idk why that would cause a loss of power as it should still be pulling in the same amount of air if not more unless the air coming in is able to escape through where it enters instead of being compressed? Maybe an admin will move this to the cummins section where more knowledgeable people can chime in

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill go ahead and chime in on one thing the guys in the cummins section will tell you. Just take that measly little turbo off and twin turbo it with 3 tons/square inch of bost( thats right not PSI, TSI lol

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the air isn't flowing into the intake thru the expected path anymore, there could be an air flow sensor or such not seeing the flow that is making the engine lose power. I'd just get it hooked back up right, maybe get a new intake hose too. Then see if you have any other problems.

banger68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it came off with a bang it's on the boosted side of the turbo, and there will be much less power without it. Put the hose back on and you should be good to go.

2000.2500.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v cummins
As already stated if one of your intercooler pips or hoses came off you'll notice a big difference. But if this did happen you should also notice more black smoke then usually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davesgarage24