Turbo Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just had the turbo replaced under warranty. 20k miles. Threw a check engine light...don’t know the code.

Service manager relayed from tech the turbo was all sooted up. SM said I should use the exhaust brake more. WTF? I’m a truck driver. I almost always use the exhaust brake.

My son in law is a Chevy mechanic, he said using the EB would cause the turbo to soot up.

Conflicting opinions...

What do you think?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sooted up at 20K miles? Nope, not buying that at all.

It's been a long running advise that running the exhaust brake keeps the veins moving and from binding up causing the actuator failures. Truth is the actuators are failing because of a poor choice of components used (electronics) not because they get sooted up.

If your turbo truly was sooted up at 20K miles there is something else going on.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
^^^Agreed^^^

It could have been a bad injector, too much water in the fuel, a bad actuator...all sorts of things. I'm not buying the sooting up issue.

I run with my EB on full time. No issues here. I know plenty of guys with 6.7L engines that do the same thing. None have had a turbo failure that I know of.

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
718193A4-7ED2-453A-B627-0CA611C20CBC.jpeg I definitely use my truck hard. I weigh almost 29k pounds going down the road.

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I drive a Peterbilt for a living and never turn the EB off. It also has a Cummins engine, but a tad bit bigger. lol

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I also use Lucas injector cleaner almost every other tank. Not sure if that could be a contributing factor. I live in San Diego, and the enviro whacos get the ****** government to put all kinds of extra crap in our fuel to “reduce air pollution”. The crap they put in gasoline is fatal to small engines like mowers and chainsaws if you don’t use some type of cleaner.