Turn Signals in Mirrors Never worked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Laramie and I am in Australia, the Dealer said that they don't comply to Australian Design Rules.
But then I see the Later model Rams and same mirrors and the Turn Signal with the door mirrors are flashing, I have a AUTEL Mk808 TS can I turn the signals on with this unit. Just asking as I have the SGW Module which is located inside the Dash and I don't want to pull it apart without knowing if I can or not. The Paddle lights work fine, just no turn signals.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
They are turning lights from the factory. There is a kit available to make them signals & running but you have to run a wire. They have a YouTube video available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snapper 60

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
18CrewDually,
I don't have the mirrors as shown in the Link, my mirrors are chrome 1DA189DA-DA17-4CF7-A96F-5E3FB78C3F4A.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The chrome is just a cover, i have a 2016 just like it, except the cover is dull Black

NF7DcP.jpg

I know that some features/functions of the mirror need a certain door module

Like if a brand new Ram does not come with Power Folding Mirrors, it would come with a basic door module

Just buying a set of mirrors with the power folding function, would also need a Door Module & programming to make it work

So you either need to check your door module to see if your module controls the signal lights.
If it does not, maybe someone builds a bypass of some kind

the door module is directly above the speaker

yJZ71f.jpg
it will have 8 slots to plug things into
my mirror is not mounted in this image
the mirror has 2 male plugs that would be plugged into it

Front Left drivers door module

68286791AA-4-BAK.jpg

I took apart a mirror after it had been damaged, this is the outside shell

EFcy9h.jpg

pJvB7z.jpg

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
18CrewDually,
I don't have the mirrors as shown in the Link, my mirrors are chrome View attachment 511988

As long as you have turn signal lights in the mirrors now it should work but I'd verify with the company I listed above. Also check out there links for YouTube install videos and read the comments of other people's installs and questions. You may find your answer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the Ram came new with those mirrors, you may have a short or Open circuit in the wiring that passes from the door to the body

If you bought 2nd hand & don't know the history of your 2018 Ram
You can get the BUILD SHEET, with all the specs that it left the factory with

Just enter the VIN # & you will be able to print out or save it all

OP
OP
Snapper 60

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There's no short, so here in Australia the turn signals didn't comply to ARD so they where disabled.

RAM is imported by a third party here in Australia, not by FCA. In saying this the importer has RAM backing and helped worked with the remanufacture to right hand drive, They aren't listed with FCA Australia as being sold here.

FYI FCA Australia really missed the boat here because the Importer is selling 4000 plus units a year, at around $130,000 for a 1500 Laramie and a 2500 at $180,000 AUD.

Now ADR must have changed because I have seen later model RAM 1500's with the turn signals operating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snapper 60

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If the Ram came new with those mirrors, you may have a short or Open circuit in the wiring that passes from the door to the body

If you bought 2nd hand & don't know the history of your 2018 Ram
You can get the BUILD SHEET, with all the specs that it left the factory with

Just enter the VIN # & you will be able to print out or save it all

OMG! the link worked and my Truck has EXT. MIRRORS W/SUPPLEMENTAL SIGNALS Thanks GTYankee but I think a Chinese man ( Aussie slang: for some c, u, next, tuesday) turned them off. But now I have my build of my Truck. So not complying and not fitted is a bit of BS, I am thinking they don't know how to switch them on using their diagnostic tools.

OP
OP
Snapper 60

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The chrome is just a cover, i have a 2016 just like it, except the cover is dull Black

View attachment 512020

I know that some features/functions of the mirror need a certain door module

Like if a brand new Ram does not come with Power Folding Mirrors, it would come with a basic door module

Just buying a set of mirrors with the power folding function, would also need a Door Module & programming to make it work

So you either need to check your door module to see if your module controls the signal lights.
If it does not, maybe someone builds a bypass of some kind

the door module is directly above the speaker

View attachment 512021
it will have 8 slots to plug things into
my mirror is not mounted in this image
the mirror has 2 male plugs that would be plugged into it

Front Left drivers door module

View attachment 512022

I took apart a mirror after it had been damaged, this is the outside shell

View attachment 512023

View attachment 512024
Hi There,

Have you a photo of you Mirror Housing mounting to the holders, I have bought some new Chrome units and need to remove the mirror glass, haven't seen and removed from power mirrors.

Regards
Snapper

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not sure if you've tried it yet... but...

I have a 2017 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI 4x4 with the same mirrors...

I recently got an Android operating system tablet (Lenovo Chromebook) and purchased the AlfaOBD app via the Google Playstore ($50) / OBDLink MX+ and hooked it up to my truck to do ALL kinds of stuff with the TPMS system (lowered the threshholds), changed the tire size so my speedo is correct, switched to HID's for low-beam / LED's for high-beam / LED's for fog lights, and disabled the fog light "drop-out" shenanigans (...cuts fogs when high-beams are being used :thumbsdown:)!

When I was in there (the ECU options) I saw there were settings for the turn signals on the mirrors -- so you'd prolly just have to enable that and be good to go I'd bet!

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added those mirrors to my Express. Added the door module and switches. I have alpha and turned on all the settings. Still never got them to work, gave up after a few months. Couldn’t get dealer to flash the truck or add the code either.
Sometimes they just don’t work.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Snapper 60

I suggest that you read up on a tool called AlfaOBD app, so you can modify your settings

Your door mirror glass may be different than mine, as yours are on a 2018 Ram.

With Mine, the mirror glass should be tilted down & maybe in towards the cab
This allows you to look in behind the mirror glass.

If it looks like this behind the glass
MfGjBY.jpg
put on some gloves for safety
Then place your index & middle fingers behind the top of the glass & place both thumbs on the face of the glass.
Now give a tug on the back of the glass, pulling towards your chin & chest, you are trying to release the 2 top clips, so it may take a little more of a tug to release the clips.
The mirror glass will be held on by the lower 2 clips. you will need to tilt the glass at about a 45 degree angle & lift while jiggling the glass.

Now you can disconnect the wires on the back of the mirror glass

3rei.jpg

If you look below the mirror motor, you should notice a black clip
That clip is a release for the signal ight within the mirror.

With very basic tools, you can completely disassemble these mirrors
EcGbaa.jpg

0rjppr.jpg
This guy has the type that i have, i was just gentler :)

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I do not have this style, so i can't tell if he broke that tab on the back or not

------------------------------------------------------

again, i don't have this type

------------------------------------------
5th Gen, terrible editing & description