Under the hood light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked for parasitic drain on the battery (8 months old) in my 2006 Ram 1500 because of the voltage drop it had after sitting for a few days. Turns out that the the problem was related to the number 11, 20 amp fuse thats for the radio and under the hood light. I checked to make sure the radio was off then went to the hood and opened it. There was no under the hood light, so i checked the plug where the wiring for the light connected. There was a modest amount of corrosion on and in the connector so I blasted it with some contact cleaner. Still had the drain so....if I cut the 2 wires that are connected to the connector and
remove it and tape the ends of them separately, would that stop the drain on the battery? or should i connect them together to stop the drain?

Thanks

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d check that the drain isn’t in the radio before you start cutting wires. Just because it turns off doesn’t mean it’s not draining the battery

OP
OP
C

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping that the connector for the hood light is the cause. I just watched a video on removing the radio on a 2006 Ram...looks like pain to do to get to the power plug. Cutting the 2 wires that lead into the harness connector for the light is easy, I just dont know if I should connect the ends of both wires together to bypass the hood light (a light thats missing) or tape the ends of them and keep them separate from each other to bypass the light connector (that is suspect) all together.