Unsure of tow capacity....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Newbie here. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, 3.73 gears sb, and have towed a 30' tt for the past 5 years. Been very happy with the performance overall, as this is my first Ram I've ever owned. Has pulled this camper very well. Well, we are a family of 6, and we have out grown the camper. So, we have decided to upgrade to a 5'er. I went to the Ram towing guide for my year, and said my set up is rated to pull 12,600. Now, I know that number isn't accurate based on the payload. I calculated it myself by taking the GVWR subtracted from GCWR and came up with 9,800 tow capacity. The 5'er we are looking at weighs 10,600 dry, 13600 GVRW. I know we won't come close to the max cargo capacity for both the camper and the truck, which gives a cushion. I really don't won't to have to pull the trigger on a new truck as I just paid this off back in Feb. So, any thoughts on being able to pull this safely?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
12,600 sounds right for towing capacity. Your issue is going to be payload. You probably have around 3000 lbs of payload, give or take a 1000, which is average for a 2500 6.4. Figure 200 lbs for a hitch, plus you and any other persons and cargo in the truck. That's going to limit you to something with around 2000 lbs of pin weight max. And don't go by advertised pin weight, those are dry numbers that don't include propane, batteries or anything you put in the 5th wheel. Not sure your going to find a 5ver that will sleep 6 that you could tow with a 2500.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Need to know the cab and bed you have.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the sticker on the door frame say?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need to know the cab and bed you have.
Definitely not a regular cab if he has a family of 6. Unless the family is following in a separate vehicle. Which might be the case anyways since stuffing 6 people in a crew cab would be interesting in and of itself. LOL Ringling Brothers would love to have a chat!

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes it is a crew cab 6 1/2 bed. Yes, if you want your patience tested, try stuffing 6 in a crew cab..

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Go to a scale (CAT Scale, junkyard, quarry, ect) and weigh the truck with whatever you take on your trips. Then subtract that from the 10,000 #s. That is your Payload you can add to the truck.
So if your truck weighs in at 8500 you can add 1500#s to the bed. The trailer pin weight and the hitch shouldn't be over 1500#s.
That's not a very big 5th wheel considering pin weight should be 15-25% of the trailer GVW. So that leaves you with about an 8k # GVW 5th wheel trailer with 20% pin weight.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, go weigh your truck with everything in it that you'd have when towing. Add 200 lbs for a hitch and what you're left with is what you can have for pin weight.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you are in 3500 country. Here is why.

As others have said, it is mostly about the weight. The best you can do is load everyone in the truck with all the stuff they carry in the cab plus whatever you carry in the bed when travelling. Get that weight and add about 250 for hitch and subtract this total from Payload Capacity on door jamb and that will give you remaining capacity. I guess you would find about 2100 pounds PC available.

On the trailer, with 6 people you are going to be on high end of trailer pin weight. I would go no less than 20% for your calculations but you may even want to bump up to 25% to be safe (that is where my cousin is with his truck and 5-6 family members when they travel, it all adds up). The 15-20% is just an average for 3-4 people and your situation is definitely above average. All that extra gear for the +2-3 people will push your pin weight. Just to say it, don't try to put more weight behind trailer axles, you will fishtail that rig right off the road.

So for your truck I guestimate a trailer fully loaded of about 8,400 pounds wet weight (meaning fully loaded, leave water and sewer tanks empty while traveling) for your present truck. The math is 2100 pounds PC left after people and hitch divided by 25% = 8,400. By virtue of all this, I would definitely consider a 3500. A gasser will give you about 1k more payload over a diesel and cost less. I have pulled 5th wheels with gassers and was very happy with performance, just stay within specs but depending on trailer you end up with, a diesel may be needed due to gcwr.

Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Take a look at some of the Arctic Wolf campers. They've got a couple bunkhouse 5'ers with advertised pin weights below 1800 lbs. I believe one is advertised at 1655? I don't believe it can ACTUALLY be that low, but if it's anything close to it, the rig might work out for you.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take a look at some of the Arctic Wolf campers. They've got a couple bunkhouse 5'ers with advertised pin weights below 1800 lbs. I believe one is advertised at 1655? I don't believe it can ACTUALLY be that low, but if it's anything close to it, the rig might work out for you.
Whether a 5th-wheel or a TT, the advertised pin/hitch weight is always for an empty rig. The rule of thumb is to add 30% to that to get the actual pin/tongue weight of a loaded rig, so even a 5th-wheel with an advertised pin weight of 1700# will probably be closer to 2200# when loaded.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Looking at the tow charts, your trucks Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is 19800 lbs.

Your truck Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 10000 lbs.

Payload is 3144 lbs. Curb weight of your truck is 6856 lbs.

Your towing capacity is 12944 lbs.

Knowing these numbers you can start subtracting the weight that is going to be added to your truck, ie: kids, dogs, camping gear, 5th wheel hitch, and your tow rating gets lower, after adding the 5th wheel pin weight.

A light weight 5th wheel is doable, might start looking at Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 5th wheels. Low pin weights in the 1200-1400lbs weight range.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another option, to save some weight, is the Andersen 5th wheel hitch. Or replace the pin box with a Reese Goosebox and install a B&W goose ball in the bed. Both will save you 150-200 lbs of payload. Another option is have your family follow you in a separate vehicle.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the same truck before upgrading to a 1 ton. You will most likely be overweight with that trailer Your looking at. If you can, upgrade to a 1 ton with the 8 speed. Made a big difference pulling my 11,000 lb 5th wheel. Mine did fairly well going through the mountains in Wyoming. Still had its issues with the real steep hills but did the job. I took my old 3/4 ton through those same mountains and was not a good drive. 4000 plus rpm’s most of the time. The 8 speed stayed around 3000 rpm’s most of the time. On flat land I hardly know I’m pulling my 5th wheel. But, if you’re planning on doing allot of mountains, get a diesel 1 ton. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks so much for all the info. Really great info here. I bought this truck with the intention of buying a camper. Just didn't realize that once we started camping we would be hooked and would at some point want to upgrade to a 5'ver. Guess we'll have to pull the trigger on a 1 ton.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any thoughts on the Anderson hitch? I like the fact that it's a 1 man operation due to being so light, but it doesn't seem to be built very strong.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Any thoughts on the Anderson hitch? I like the fact that it's a 1 man operation due to being so light, but it doesn't seem to be built very strong.

I've seen a few cases of the aluminum ones collapsing, posted on RV forums. The other thing is it uses an elevated gooseball hitch. So you get the task of raising it higher than the ball so you can drop it back down where a 5th wheel you just need to be close and it will slide in. Also with a 5th wheel hitch it is easier to see when it is lined up since it is elevated and the cargo camera is aimed right at it. If you don't have a cargo cam the 5th wheel can still be seen out the back window if you sit high in the seat.
If you want maximum weight saving and free up bed space and don't mind the ball and have a gooseneck prepped truck, go with a Reese Goosebox. They even make one with full airide and shocks suspension.
There is also a light and low space 5th wheel hitch that locks in to the gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck.
I myself went with a puck system 5th wheel made from steel for strength and durability since I haul not only a camp trailer 5er but also flatbeds with equipment.
Below is the Demco Reacon and the Reese Goosebox.

112670_1.jpg
Screenshot_20230812_185948_eBay.jpg