Unusual temperature question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Group;

I have an unusual question about temps. Unusual in that my truck not running hot or leaking. Two years ago I installed an all aluminum rad and 190 Tstat. I drive 20 miles to / from work mainly on interstate routes so my running stats are very consistent. 186-190 on coolant. 180 on oil temp and 120 on tranny.
But my observation the past could weeks is how quickly the coolant and oil temp are coming up. It used to take a handful of miles after entering interstate for them to achieve their max (at which point the Tstat would open and is see the temp drop from 190 to 186 then climb backt to 190 where it would remain thereafter.
Now, even with outside temps in the upper 60s the coolant temp will hit 192 to 194 before the Tstat opens, but it's also achieving that temp before I even get to the interstate now.
So to summarize, it's not overheating by any stretch, and I'm not losing any coolant, the whole matter is that it's getting up to temp way sooner than it ever used to, and I can't quite figure out what would cause that condition when seemingly no malfunctions are apparent.
Any insight is appreciated. I know I'm overlooking the obvious.
I'm thinking air in the system perhaps?

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was running 215* For a sure piece of mind Put lubegard Kool it in it. I dropped mine 17-20* Even on 110* days it stays around 197*

OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Again, my temps aren't high... It's that it's suddenly getting up to Tstat opening temp much quicker than it ever did. Which yes I admit doesn't seem like much of issue all things considered, but it's a sign something is up and I want to nip it in the bud before somthing wets the cradle.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can let it idle for a while with the rad cap off, just to see if any air burps out of the system. Also check your overflow bottle... those don't seal very well so it may be empty.

OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm going to trying burping the system, the bottle is ok, 3/4 and holds steady. Air seems the likely culprit. Nobody else seems to have any thoughts.

OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you try the T-Stat? They can get sluggish with time.
I'm going to explore that, because it's really the only mechanical link in the chain, but her's what I'm having trouble grasping is even if it's slow to open, or let's say it doesn't open at all, what would be the root cause of the coolant temp going from ambient temp to 190 in 2 miles now whereas it use to take 5? In other words, it's getting up to temp much quicker than it ever did, like it has no coolant in it at all. That's very odd