Upcoming Road Trip from Pa to Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I guess I’m with the minority…
Drive to airport, board plane.. Land.. un board plane.. Walk to car rental counter and drive away.
I’ve done the Pa to Fl way to many times.. never again! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
When I go from PA to Florida I drive through the Night to gain the most ground. When the kids wake up in the morning we stop and get some breakfast and they enjoy seeing new surroundings. Remember when we were kids we didn’t have all the gadgets and we made it and without seat belts. LOL. Those are some good ideas for charger placements I like it.

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I’m with the minority…
Drive to airport, board plane.. Land.. un board plane.. Walk to car rental counter and drive away.
I’ve done the Pa to Fl way to many times.. never again! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely prefer flying for sure. But sometimes it’s nice to take your own vehicle. I almost went down for Daytona truck week this week from NY but then I thought about the drive and was like nah I’m good

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I leave from PA to the keys today. Hard to get the boat on a plane.
No kids though, so that's a very small plus.

I carry many tools, full size spare tires, tire inflation devices, aftermarket jack so to not use the factory jack.
Breaker bar with ratchet and sockets as well as cordless impact now.
Most break downs I see are tire related - usually after a semi has lost a tire.

MuleDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So have a planed road trip end of June to Florida and back with (2) young kids. Figured I do some mods to help out with the Tablet / Movie watching to keep the kids sane… Added in the Linkswell T-Style radio, has Netflix programmed for those movies, upgrade the sound system Pioneer upgraded speakers for better sound quality all around the cab. Also added in rear door USB ports to tablet charging/ Phone charging as well, totally a game changer in my opinion.
Any other recommendations or Road Trip essentials that I could be forgetting… I know I need Plenty of aspirin, doing straight ride down, most likely hotel it on the way back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk0c9efa5f2e1e71dce85f8b01fba5519c.jpg
6fe169e7ca58fb0f9be49ec25d7b9078.jpg
9f619fb4962d87e0bae4c0fc69ece746.jpg5450f0b96ee526f535db41983e3e4542.jpg
So did you add that tablet? I also added those same USB ports in my rear doors as well as led throughout the cabinet.

1CD67146-C50C-4ADE-A6EC-8E38A6EB1667.jpeg

0E9F3788-7B1F-40BE-BC37-25AA448DF5AF.jpeg

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will come from personal experience from both myself and my daughter's. When I was growing up in the 80s we used to road trip from south Florida to Louisiana. My mom would get us a paper bag full of cheap toys and car games and give us one from the bag every hour. That worked great for quite a few years.

Now that I am grown and still love to travel we have learned something even better. Don give the kids anything! My daughter's are 12 and have been to 40 states out of the lower 48 and driven them all. When they have their face in a movie or phone, they learn nothing and miss everything. My girls have been road tripping since they were 6 months old and most years go on at least one 3-4K mile road trip. Find games everyone can play and keep them engaged. When they get bored, tell them to look out the window and enjoy the new scenery.

Some games we play:

Alphabet game - use roadside signs and semi trailers. You try to find words that start with each letter. Start with A and work your way to Z. We usually allow X, Q, and Z to be found on license plates or inside words.

Grocery store game. Again work through the alphabet. This time each person adds something the list and the next person restates the whole list. Example: after 4 people you might have "apples, bananas, carrots, dog food", so the 5 person in line would add something from the group very store that starts with E. After 20 letters it gets hard, especially when you have people using odd items, but it's fun and keeps everyone engaged.
One that even small kids can do is roadside bingo. There are tons of reusable bingo boards with sliders. They include cars, busses, signs, animals, etc. My kids have used these since they were 3 or 4 and we still love them. Of course the driver can't participate in this one, but it's fun.

Just don't let the kids stare a screen their whole life.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm an old guy who remembers road trips back into the '50's. These are great teachable moments for kids! Take away their electronics and explain the surroundings to them like my folks did for us. Play license plate games, see the world. Think of all the young ones who are stuck in urban hell-holes who never get that chance...

Russ

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
we stop and get some breakfast and they enjoy seeing new surroundings. Remember when we were kids we didn’t have all the gadgets and we made it and without seat belts.

I enjoy leaving the radio off, and the kids gadgets off, and actually having conversations about things we see, old times, old family members and stuff also. It's quality time together if you don't tune each other out...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you don't have it, get an EZpass. I remember heading around DC and there was a traffic jam. DC has an EZpass only express lane. Saved us a lot of time

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I won't duplicate the great info above, just add a tip from years on the road.

Take some washcloths & sandwich size zipper bags. Soak the washcloths in water, squeeze just a little water out so they don't drip. Fold and place in zipper bag. Freeze. Add to road travel cooler.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've done NY to FL a few times. We have a 6 yr old so we used SC as the mid-point and stay overnight. By that point after starting the trip driving through NY, NJ & DC area I'm shot anyway. It also let's me start fresh to face the I-95 through Jacksonville stretch that I hate.
The most stress-saving thing to me aside from having most of the supplies listed by others is to make sure I fuel-up at no less than a 1/4 tank - even sooner if I can. As you go further South the gas stations are farther apart and in some cases out of the way. It used to be a "light bickering" issue between my wife and I until a trip where we hit a 50+ mile backup caused by an assumed novice U-haul truck driver that spilled its contents (a couch, lamps, dressers, clothes - you name it) and caused a 5 car accident. We crawled for miles and miles through Georgia with stretches of no viable alternates. If I didn't have fuel it would've added that much more stress than the backup caused. I definitely don't play the Kramer "tank on E" game . It's just not worth it to me.