Vertical play on both front wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2014 2500 6.7 with just a tick over 40k on it. There's some amount of play when I push on the top of the front tires, more so on the drivers side. I can't see anything, any idea on what it might be? I do have some cupping on the front tires (Goodyear Duratrac) although I have never rotated them.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be front wheel bearings or ball joints.

If you are not comfortable diagnosing the problem yourself take it in for a wheel alignment to a mechanic you trust.

They should check the whole front end over before doing the alignment.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grizzstang pretty much listed it. There are a number of videos on Y/T that explain how to test Ball Joints and Bearing/Hub assemblies to zero in on the problem. Pretty much what you did with a little more look-see on various components. The lower ball joint should have no more than .5mm (1/32") of up/down movement in it.

The bearing/hub assembly should have zero freeplay. They can be a real bugger to change, if they get siezed in ..as per some recent posts (scroll down and you'll see recent posts). But check with your local parts store to see if they rent out a hub puller tool. The right tool can make a very hard job a lot easier. And shops know how to deal with them.

Another very common failure are the upper control arm balljoints. Not just on Rams but other trucks too. There's also the possibility of a prematurely worn suspension bushing. Someone will just have to put their eyes on the parts.

Sorry to hear of the early demise. None of that stuff is cheap to change. Wear of both the UCA & Wheel bearing/hub assemblies are greatly accelerated running oversized tires and/or really rough winter roads, potholes, etc. We had a really rough road near us, and a buddy's Suburban wore it's ball joints out in one winter ..commuting to work!!

The best is to replace with top quality components such as SKF/TRW/Moog etc. Or Mopar is obviously great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks, I wouldn't think bearing wear would be limited to just vertical play. I'll search up some videos and see what I can find

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Having barely survived a recent wheel bearing evolution, I can attest to the fact that it can be a very tough job. Also, no fun.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having barely survived a recent wheel bearing evolution, I can attest to the fact that it can be a very tough job. Also, no fun.

...But you'll have the memories and a few war-stories to share forever!! LOL :D